Terence's Reviews > The Autumn Republic

The Autumn Republic by Brian  McClellan

23206148

bookshelves: 5-stars

The Autumn Republic starts shortly after the end of The Crimson Campaign. Field Marshall Tamas has returned to Adro to find Brudanian Forces under the command of Lord Claremonte have taken control of the city.

The war with the Kez continues on, but Adro's forces are divided.

Taniel and Ka-poel are in hiding all the while being hunted by brigades of his treacherous country men.

The Autumn Republic is a great yet at times sad conclusion to the Powder Mage trilogy. All the familiar elements of the series return with magic, mystery, betrayal, shock, family, and of course gods. The finale does not disappoint.

While most books start out slowly, The Autumn Republic beings in a sprint. Battles rage in the first few chapters and all throughout the book as Brian McClellan packed this one full of action. I had the chills more than once through some of the battle scenes.

I really enjoyed seeing the depth of many of the characters in this one particularly Tamas, Taniel, and Nila.

Tamas had the feel all throughout the book that he'd grown tired of all the fighting and betrayal. He shares a ton of sentimental scenes with Taniel, Bo, and Vlora throughout which just seemed right since they are all his kids. Tamas still had his edge, but he's really showing his kindness and caring more than ever before.

Taniel shows plainly that he's grown up even at the beginning of The Autumn Republic. Gone is the pompous powder mage replaced by a young man who cares deeply for those he loves and he even shows respect for others too.

Nila was really a shining star in this one. The newly minted privileged shows resolve far beyond what a young woman with zero training in war or fighting should have. Over and over she steps up in this one to protect herself and others. Prior to this one Nila's chapter seemed somewhat unimportant, but she was an essential part of the team in The Autumn Republic. Her interactions with Bo were also some of my favorite scenes.

The big reveal and conclusion in The Autumn Republic was unreal. Brian McClellan saved some massive twists that I hadn't considered for a moment. I love when I'm pleasantly surprised by any stories twists and McClellan had some great ones. The conclusion left me saddened and stunned, but McClellan captured the moment beautifully.

The only thing I didn't like was a certain plot point that I saw through instantly, but it really didn't effect my overall enjoyment of the book.

The Autumn Republic brilliantly caps the end of the Powder Mage trilogy. I'm looking forward to all of Brian McClellan's future works particularly his next Powder Mage trilogy which is already in the works.

5 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autumn Republic.

July 9, 2014 – Shelved
July 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2014 – Shelved as: waiting-for
October 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2015 – Started Reading
February 14, 2015 –
page 190
32.76% "Wow this is awesome!"
February 16, 2015 –
page 494
85.17% "So much has happened already, I can't wait to read the end."
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-stars
February 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Kaora Nice review! Glad to see that this series ends strong!

Terence Kaora wrote: "Nice review! Glad to see that this series ends strong!"

Thanks. I really enjoyed it, I read about 200 pages the day I started reading it.

Conor Nice review bro. I hadn't been planning to read this one for a while but this review (and a couple of other really positive ones from some of my other friends) has gotten me really psyched to see how the series ends.

Terence Conor wrote: "Nice review bro. I hadn't been planning to read this one for a while but this review (and a couple of other really positive ones from some of my other friends) has gotten me really psyched to see h..."

Thanks man. The Autumn Republic is definitely the best book in the series so I imagine you'll enjoy it.

Peter Terence wrote: "The Autumn Republic is definitely the best book in the series..."

Hm, I think I liked The Crimson Campaign a BIT more, but not by much. Both are really great, and the trilogy as a whole is easily my favorite new series from the past few years. I just really loved the second book, but it doesn't diminish how good the third book is!

Nice review!

Terence Peter wrote: Hm, I think I liked The Crimson Campaign a BIT more, but not by much. Both are really great, and the trilogy as a ..."

Fair enough. I found Taniel a bit too annoying in The Crimson Campaign and that dimmed it a bit for me.

Michael Smith I didn't like your review... Know why? Because it made mine look lame by comparison! Lol totally agree with you on the book and great review in all seriousness!

Terence Michael wrote: "I didn't like your review... Know why? Because it made mine look lame by comparison! Lol totally agree with you on the book and great review in all seriousness!"

Haha thanks Michael. I liked your review though.

Anna I finished the book recently and just can't get over how awesome it is. I think that the first time I have that notorious 'book hangover'.

Just curious, what was that plot point that you saw through?

Terence Anna wrote: "I finished the book recently and just can't get over how awesome it is. I think that the first time I have that notorious 'book hangover'.

Just curious, what was that plot point that you saw through?"

(view spoiler)

The book is really good it's easy to see why it could leave you with a book hangover.

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Ah, I guessed that one before the heroes, but the author still had me decieved for a long time.