Hot Stuff Book Reviews's Reviews > Rules of Survival

Rules of Survival by Jus Accardo

bookshelves: new-adult, contemporary, english

Find more on the blog: https://hotstuffbookreviews.wordpress...

3.5 to 4 stars.

I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This novel is a standalone and is very different from the usual New Adult Contemporary novels you can find out there. There aren’t many with a thriller vibe and Jus Accardo pulls it off pretty well.

The action is always very present which means that I didn’t have the time to get bored. I always felt the danger lurking around and it kept me going, even when I thought the characterization was lacking some.

There’s nothing to say about the author’s writing style. After all, this book isn’t her first one and she knows how to keep us guessing, keep the tension and even add some scenes I’d qualify as sweet and hot.

The plot itself is well-built and while I often wondered if I would guess something right, I more than often didn’t. I’m pleasantly surprised and I’m not going to give your anymore than that because I’m too afraid of spoiling things for you. With this book, it’s like being trapped in one of those action movie or thrillers.

The characters are a little less thrilling than the plot unfortunately. I enjoyed Kayla because she’s strong and different from the kind of female lead character we find in books, but some things were a little repetitive and her attraction to Shaun is a little bit too fast and easy for my taste.

Shaun is a good supportive character, but I would have loved to feel more of his emotions and how his past played a role. I mean, we see some of it, but I felt like it’s kept away or that the easy way was taken.

The other characters are interesting though a little bit clichés. But still, it helped settling that action movie, thriller vibe.

The very end is lacking the emotional impact I was expecting and the tension I’d felt throughout the book. I’m a little bit disappointed and I hesitated between rating this book 3 or 4 stars because of that very thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Survival.

Finished Reading