Hot Stuff Book Reviews's Reviews > Play Me

Play Me by Blue Ashcroft

liked it
bookshelves: serial, new-adult, contemporary, english, adult

Find more on the blog: https://hotstuffbookreviews.wordpress...

I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This book is the first episode of a New Adult Contemporary Romance serial. While I’m usually not very into that new format of stories, I know I’ll be following this one.

My review is going to be pretty short since it’s not like there’s much happening in this first installment. We meet all characters, get an idea of the dynamic and tensions. Because there’s a lot of tension.

I like Kira’s characters even though I don’t fully buy the fact that she’s afraid of a ex-boyfriend. The author shows much more her history with her old friends instead of actually showing us that Kira is in fact trying to recover from something very difficult. Although, near the end it takes another turn and that’s when the book ends. At least, it’s pretty well-done because I’m not bitching at my kindle and yet I’m still quite eager to read the next installment.

There are many clichés in this book and at first it really made me roll my eyes, but then I slowly started to warm up to the characters even though so far the author took some easy shortcuts. I hope the next installment will be less predictable and the characters more multi-dimentional.

I like the few quirks the characters have because they help me “see’’ the differences between each ones. I’d love to see even more of their friendship, something more tangible to better empathize with them all. We’ll probably see more of that in the next installment.

The plot is tight enough, though there isn’t much happening action wise. I hope to better understand Alex and see more of Kira and him struggling because I enjoy the build up there. It’s quite well done and even partially understandable. Kira is a little more difficult to follow which bothers me a little bit considering what she went through, but that’s another debate.

The writing is flowing well, some dialogue tags don’t seem necessary, but fortunately they don’t slow down the reading all that much. The descriptions aren’t taking too much space and don’t smother the dialogues.

Overall, it’s a nice beginning for a new series, a new serial, and I’ll keep an eye out for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Me.

Finished Reading