Naina's Reviews > Not On Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond

Not On Our Watch by Don Cheadle

F 50x66
May 02, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: africa
Read in May, 2007

For years, I have turned a semi-blind eye to Darfur because the thought of genocide seems too big to handle...depsite feeling like I could make a difference in global health, I've always felt helpless to do anything against crimes against humanity. This book is NOT a detailed history about the Darfur crisis. There is some historical background, enough to give you some knowledge to discuss in conversation. It is an extremely easy read and it's interesting to see the transformation of Don Cheadle, an actor who I love, to become an activist.

This book is about inspiring people that they can make a difference in the Darfur conflict and other regions of conflict (Somalia, Northern Uganda, etc.). It spends a lot of time giving examples of people who were moved to action and how these actions have made a difference. This book is definitely for lefties, particularly those who believe in the power of grassroots activism.

Overall, low on intellect and high on inspiration. It's a challenging topic and I give kudos to the authors.

For those who want more intellectual/policy stimulation, read the new report by the ENOUGH campaign and Center for American Progress, Plan B with teeth for Darfur, http://www.americanprogress.org/issue...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not On Our Watch.