Amor's Reviews > 1776

1776 by David McCullough

bookshelves: 2010

I learned so much from this book. Of greatest significance was the realization that though we honor 1776 as the birth year of our nation, it held some of the darkest moments in the American war for Independence. I didn't know that. Furthermore, this book has helped me appreciate our founding fathers, particularly George Washington. He was a man who recognized God's hand. He wasn't perfect, but he was tenacious in overcoming discouragement.

Two short passages stand out to me, the first was said by George Washington, describing his feelings at a particularly discouraging moment in the war against the British; the second by David McCullough, in which he describes George Washington ...

1. "If I shall be able to rise superior to these, and many other difficulties which might be enumerated, I shall most religiously believe that the finger of Providence is in it, to blind the eyes of our enemies; for surely if we get well through this ... it must be for want of their knowing the disadvantages we labor under." (p.79)

2. "It was Washington and the army that won the war for American independence. The fate of the war and the revolution rested on the army. The Continental Army - not the Hudson River of the possession of New York or Philadelphia - was the key to victory. And it was Washington who held the army together and gave it "spirit" through the most desperate of times .... He was not a brilliant strategist or tactician, nor a gifted orator, not an intellectual. At several crucial moments he had shown marked indecisiveness. He had made serious mistakes in judgement. But experience had been his great teacher from boyhood, and in this his greatest test, he learned steadily from experience. Above all, Washington never forgot what was at stake and he never gave up." (p. 293)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1776.

April 18, 2010 – Shelved
May 10, 2010 – Started Reading
June 19, 2010 –
page 123
August 10, 2010 –
page 234
August 23, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
August 23, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca ooh, you'll have to tell me how this is. I've been thinking about getting it for a long time.

Tracie George Washington was the MAN!!! Those were great quotes. And I'm so glad you loved this most favorite book of mine.

Amor Rebecca wrote: "ooh, you'll have to tell me how this is. I've been thinking about getting it for a long time."

This book is definitely worth reading. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amor Tracie wrote: "George Washington was the MAN!!! Those were great quotes. And I'm so glad you loved this most favorite book of mine."

Thanks Tracie! I agree, George Washington is the Man! I admire his tenacity and his courage.