TK421's Reviews > Scavenger

Scavenger by David Morrell

it was ok
bookshelves: pulp-detective-spy-crime

I really wanted to like this book. No, I'm not just saying that! I really really really did. But I couldn't. It was boring to me. But it was full of action, you're saying. Yes. Yes it was. But the action parts were BOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGG! Here's the deal, there is a psychopath who wants to enact some revenge against one of his old foes (cliché), so he sets up an elaborate scheme to get his nemesis and his girlfriend to go to a meeting of historical architecture (I'll buy it); once there, he knocks them out with a spiked juice concoction (again, cliché). When the man revives, the girl has been kidnapped and he is left with a note asking if he would like to play a game (where have we heard that one before?). But this game isn't one of survival for the man; it is one that is closely related to video games--think if reality TV and XBOX had a love child. Okay, I’ll admit, this premise sounds pretty cool. Plus, I’ve really liked most of David Morrell’s other books that I’ve read. But by the time I got around to page fifty or so, the story had stalled in too many info dumps and flashbacks. And the ending. Don’t get me started. It was one of the worst endings I have ever read.

Two stars for some of the innovative scenes, and the beginning: Hiring actors and actresses to play the roles of historical architecture buffs, and then convincing them to go along with a practical joke from an “old friend” was priceless…the Gamemaster did have a sense of humor.

WASTE OF TIME (but you may like it)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scavenger.

April 17, 2010 – Started Reading