Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) 's Reviews > The Art of Lainey

The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

bookshelves: edelweiss, cute

Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews .

The Art of Lainey was so original! Using a classic book such as: The Art of War to win over your ex seems pretty… out there. However I loved seeing Lainey and her best friend Bianca going over the book and creating strategies to win over Lainey’s ex; it was quirky and fun.

At first I thought I would hate this book because I couldn’t really believe Lainey. Her boyfriend dumps her in a very mean and callous way, and she wants to win him back? Why? Because her life was perfect with him in it? But then, thanks to Lainey’s awesome best friend, her parents, and Micah… well Lainey learned to grow throughout the novel.

Speaking of, I was so impressed with the way the female friendship was in this book! Bianca was so supportive of Lainey, however she wasn’t afraid of telling her if she thought Lainey was wrong.
[Lainey] “I don’t even know who I would be without him.”
“You would be my amazing friend, Lainey,” Bee says.

She had an amazing relationship with her parents, too. Her mom was always so honest with Lainey and always gave her great advice. She even made me laugh sometimes when she came up with quirky ways to give Lainey advice. Even Lainey’s brother, who wasn’t even physically present in the book, was so supportive for her via emails and texts.

What made this romance so fun to read was the fact that Micah and Lainey had to fake date each other. They both have some misconceptions about each other and seeing them discover that these weren’t true was so cute!

Micah is seen as a bad boy because he has piercings and a Mohawk. But GOSH he is so not what everybody believes! And I am so happy that he got to show his side. He was so funny and cute and actually really helpful to Lainey’s journey of self discovery. (Also, there's a novella about Micah called Infinite Repeat which I am DYING for.)

Micah and Lainey’s interactions were so lovely and smile inducing! Even as a fake couple they had loads of more chemistry than Lainey and her ex.

I really like how the story was paced and that Lainey had really amazing character growth. The Lainey at the beginning of the book is a completely different person from the Lainey at the end. I loved seeing her change and grow throughout.

Overall this is a book about much more than strategizing to win back someone’s ex. It’s about a girl’s journey to self-discovery, with wonderful friendships, cute romantic situations, and a swoony male interest.

An ebook copy of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Lainey.

July 7, 2014 – Started Reading
July 7, 2014 – Shelved
July 7, 2014 – Shelved as: edelweiss
July 7, 2014 –
68.0% "Be still, my heart."
July 7, 2014 –
100.0% "OKAY that was really cute. And who knew mohawks could be really dreamy? *sigh*"
July 7, 2014 – Finished Reading