Caidyn (he/him/his)'s Reviews > Katherine the Queen: The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr, the Last Wife of Henry VIII

Katherine the Queen by Linda Porter

bookshelves: nonfiction, historical-nonfiction, tudor-times, brit-kerfuffle

3.5/5

This book was excellently written. Porter's style was very easy to get into and track. I think that's also because I'm very familiar with this era, but I'm chalking it up to the author for this one. I also do feel like I went away from this book having learned something new. Katherine Parr is mainly known for being his last queen and the fact that she was very devout in the Protestant faith. But, I really liked learning about the other people around her and some of her history prior to becoming queen.

Still, I felt this book focused more on people other than Katherine. It was either about her husbands or her other family members or the other people moving around her in court. Even her death in this was swallowed up by talking about the fates of her stepchildren and final husband. It felt like those little details could have been left out altogether or pushed into the epilogue. So, while I definitely broadened my knowledge about her life, I didn't feel like I really learned that much about her. I know that's because the lack of records about her life plays a major role in that, but still. It was a little disappointing to see everyone but the subject have a starring role in this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katherine the Queen.

July 7, 2014 – Shelved
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: brit-kerfuffle
May 21, 2019 – Started Reading
May 21, 2019 –
page 275
71.8% "I totally forgot to add this to my CR list. Whoops."
May 21, 2019 –
page 350
91.38% "The notes start after this, so RTC!"
May 21, 2019 – Finished Reading