Monnie's Reviews > The Neighbor

The Neighbor by Dean Koontz

Jul 07, 2014

This short story - just 33 pages - is a prequel to The City, the author's latest novel. Since I haven't read the book yet (it's next on my list), I'm not sure how important it is to read this story, released as a Kindle single. But I do know it's excellent on its own.

It took less than half an hour to read, and yes, what takes place here makes me want to read more (which, I suppose, is one of the main reasons some authors have taken to writing these little ditties). Set in 1967, it's about 12-year-old Malcolm Pomerantz, a gifted musician, and his equally gifted older sister Amalia. Their home life is not a very happy one, and they rely on each other for comfort and companionship. Amalia, however, has earned a full scholarship to college and will be leaving the nest - and her brother - soon.

One night, Malcolm notices lights on in the house next door - a house that's stood empty since the owner, a former school teacher, passed away. When Malcolm learns that his sister also saw activity in the house, the two can't resist paying a visit to see what's going on. What they find is creepy and kooky, mysterious and spooky. And isn't that great?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neighbor.

July 7, 2014 – Started Reading