Christopher Lawson's Reviews > What Color Is Your Parachute? 2015: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers

What Color Is Your Parachute? 2015 by Richard Nelson Bolles

Read 3 times. Last read July 7, 2014.

This book is widely recognized as the top guide to finding a job. Various editions of this book have sold MILLIONS. It is easy to see why. The author has extensive experience in the field, and backs up his ideas with impressive evidence.

► THINGS I LIKED THE MOST ◄

♦ Insight into the actual interviewing process--especially the suggested time min/max for your responses. Bolles provides "Conversation Tips" to prepare for. This section alone is worth the price of the book. They are also "Ten Commandments" for the applicant.

For example, "Conversation Tip #12" Employers don't care about your past; they just ask about it as a way to predict your FUTURE behavior.

♦ Even more, the tips on answering the usual question, "Tell me about yourself." Bolles notes, "How you answer that question will determine your fate during the rest of the interview."

♦ The 5 key questions that the applicant must know:
-Why are you here?
-What can yo do for us?
-What kind of person are you?
-What distinguishes you from other people?
-Can I afford you?

♦ Six Secrets of Salary Negotiation. I was already aware of some of these, such as not being too quick to mention a salary first.

♦ Suggestions on how to best use social/networking sites like LinkedIn. The author points out the importance of completely filling out your user profile, so that prospective employers (who will search these sites) can get an accurate picture of your qualifications.

♦ Also, I had no idea how important it was to have your PICTURE on these sites. Bolles notes that surveys always show that not having a picture is a turn-off.

♦ Explanation as to how the job hunt as changed in some ways, but in essence is still the same.

► QUALITY OF EDITING ◄
Excellent editing and book design. Someone has spent a lot of time getting this right! The book is well laid-out into logical sections. The Table of Contents points to each major section.

► END MATERIAL ◄
Even the appendices are impressive. The first appendix will certainly be the most controversial, because the author makes his own religious beliefs clear. This is a very meaty, thought-provoking section called, "Finding your Mission in Life."

Bolles defends his inclusion of religion in a book on job-hunting by this stat: In the U.S., about 89% of the population believes in God. So, he reasons, "Leaving out a section that 89% of my readers might be interested in, and helped by, in order to please 11% of my readers, seems to me insane."

Finding your mission in life will not be trivial, and will not be quick. The author points out that being forced to find a job can also have beneficial effects on our whole life. It offers "a chance to make some fundamental changes in our whole life. It marks a turning point in how we live our life."

► OTHER APPENDICES ◄
The other, less controversial appendices include:
"A Guide to Choosing a Career Coach."
"A Ten Minute Crash Course for Vets."
"Sampler List of Coaches"
"Recent Foreign Editions" (well, okay, this one does seem a bit self-serving.)
"Final Word from Author"

The author's "PostScript" is a very poignant missive--almost a pleas, to the reader. When faced with a job crisis, you can abandon your beliefs, or rethink the things that have been your core principles. "While we are out of work, we can reach toward a larger conception of our God and of ourselves."

√ HIGHLY RECOMMEND! This review doesn't do justice to this oustanding work. This is a COMPREHENSIVE, well-written book by perhaps the #1 expert in the field. Honestly, if you are struggling finding your next job, you would be nuts to not read this book.

♫ A Review by Chris Lawson

[Note: I do not know the author of this book, and no one requested I write this review.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Color Is Your Parachute? 2015.

July 7, 2014 – Started Reading
July 7, 2014 – Shelved
July 7, 2014 – Finished Reading
August 1, 2016 – Started Reading (Audio CD Edition)
August 1, 2016 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)
June 16, 2017 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 16, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 16, 2017 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 18, 2017 – Finished Reading (Audio CD Edition)