Laura Bang's Reviews > Lark Rise to Candleford

Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson

Apr 17, 2010

bookshelves: nonfiction, britishisms, auto-bio-memoir, country-life, favorites, fiction

I loved this book! Oh, so much!

Flora Thompson's autobiographical narrative (told in the third person) is a quiet contemplation of British country life at the end of the nineteenth century. The main time period is the 1880s and 1890s and Thompson has done a brilliant job of capturing the ephemeral nature of that time period--as old ways gave way to new in a rapidly industrializing era. There are so many fascinating details of the "old" traditions as well as wonderful details about Laura's job at the post office.

Over one hundred years after the time in which the books take place, I have made such a deep connection with Laura and her world. That's such an amazing feeling!

(Thompson's narrative has a very different flavour than that of the BBC television adaptation, though I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing on the part of the BBC. The series draws on many of the details illustrated in Thompson's book, but often fills them in with different stories and/or characters. I think that's actually necessary for the adaptation since the main character for about two-thirds of Thompson's book is the hamlet of Lark Rise itself, rather than any specific person. And I do like the BBC series, too. Lark Rise and Candleford are still lovely towns to get a glimpse of, regardless of who's actually telling the story.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lark Rise to Candleford.

April 17, 2010 – Started Reading