Diane S ☔'s Reviews > Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

For most of his teenage age Colorless was part of an inseparable five person group, three boys, two girls. Until one day he wasn't, told he had done something so terrible he was cut out off the group, they would no longer acknowledge him nor have anything to do with him. But why? What had he done? Almost driven to suicide but never really asking what had happened, it will not be until many years later that he will get some of these answers.

I had a weird relationship with this book, when I was reading it I was really into it but when I put it down it didn't cry out, pick me up, find out what happened. Anyway it took me over a month to finish this book, but I am glad I did. Japanese books take patience, their emotions are minimalist at best and their reveals are slow. Colorless, as yes the name means quite a bit in this book, may have turned out to be the luckiest, even though he stayed somewhat stunted emotionally. I liked the openness of the ending, it was fitting, letting the reader decide what they think will, happen. A mind boggling, psychologically creative novel, one I can't seem to quit thinking about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

July 7, 2014 – Shelved
August 31, 2014 –
page 110
September 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Andrew Smith I felt similarly about this book, Diane. I've read better from Murakami, but it was ok.

Diane S ☔ Was my first one, Andrew. Though I do have a few more in the pipeline.

Andrew Smith I love his writing, Diane. You have some wonderful books to come!