Jason Parent's Reviews > Milk-Blood

Milk-Blood by Mark  Matthews

bookshelves: horror

Milk Blood - the concept alone is disturbing. Matthews takes it 1800 steps further.

The story follows a 10-year-old girl with cyanosis - per Wikipedia (yeah I had to fucking look it up, back the fuck off - um I apologize for the hostility and the treatment of Wikipedia as a legitimate reference source) "a bluish discoloration, especially of the skin and mucous membranes, due to excessive concentration of deoxyhemoglobin in the blood caused by deoxygenation" (what??? um, now that that's perfectly explained...)

Anyway, the little girl's name is Lilly. With her, Matthews creates a character that invokes pity, stirs the heart, tortures the mind, and challenges the soul. Her plight, mostly thrust upon her by the sins of others, is heart-breaking, and the stuff of good literature.

Her guardian was my hero, for a chapter anyway, but he's real and gritty and does the best he can with what he has (a theme prevalent throughout the novel). The mother - I hated her, and if the author tried to get me to relate to her in any way, he missed on that account.

Story? Damn! Injecting drugs into your veins is bad enough, but (view spoiler)

This story is dark and original. The "author intrusion" between initial chapters pissed me off, though it readily became apparent what was going on after the second offense. (view spoiler) I don't know how I feel about the ending and those scenes now. They have purpose, but I am not sure if the story might be stronger without them.

The writing? Matthews isn't the most technically sound writer/editor, but any quirks are minimal (one a chapter?). However, he is brilliantly descriptive and can turn a phrase and even more so, pack an emotional punch. He knows how to trigger an emotional response the likes of which I don't see often in horror.

Overall, this book is recommended for fans of DARK fiction. It's better than 4 stars, so I will give it 4 stars here and 5 on Amazon. Nicely done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Milk-Blood.

July 7, 2014 – Shelved
July 7, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 25, 2015 – Started Reading
February 15, 2015 –
page 25
15.92% "Loved loved loved the first chapter. Really created a character I could sink my teeth into. Second chapter was fine, too. Author's note in between kind of bothered me, though - took me out of the story. Still, book's got my attention!"
February 16, 2015 –
page 42
February 20, 2015 –
page 65
February 21, 2015 –
page 75
47.77% "some dark stuff going on here. I like dark. This dark. Making me uncomfortable in my own skin"
February 21, 2015 –