B.A. Wilson's Reviews > We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

24206425

bookshelves: ya, wrecked-me, mystery, suspense, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2018 to January 5, 2018.

#BecRereads2018

This is such a gorgeous story about so much ugliness.

It was fascinating to read it again, knowing the outcome this time. Last time, I read it through crazy fast, without even setting it down. I was so captivated that everything took me by surprise, and I remember being an emotional wreck for hours afterwards.

This time, it was so interesting to go in knowing and to see it all coming at me, but it still played tricks on my emotions, especially as the audiobook has an excellent narrator.

This is one book that is really meant to be read more than once, even though I suspect a lot of people say the exact opposite--that the big twists would all be ruined. They aren't. Knowing the major twists left me open to really absorb all the finer details that I missed, misunderstood, or was guided to overlook on a first read.

Pages: 242

PREVIOUS REVIEW:
This novel. It wrecked me.

I don't know how long I sat after, clutching the book. Long enough that my fingers ached. Long enough that my voice cracked when I next spoke. Long enough that my soul cried a thousand ugly tears.

I want to call it gorgeous. The writing is. It's so very gorgeous, but I can't forget the hideous, gaping wounds the story left in my chest.

I picked it up intending to read only a chapter or two and ended up reading it straight through. I was unable to step away. Every page, every moment, compelled me to read forward. I didn't even care what got abandoned or ignored in my real life while I read. Because it didn't feel like any of it could have mattered, not in light of the paths I followed, the journey I endured. I still feel the heaviness on my soul. I can't shake off this story. It clings and begs to be remembered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Liars.

Quotes B.A. Liked

E. Lockhart
“Do not accept an evil you can change.”

E. Lockhart
“There is not even a Scrabble word for how bad I feel.”

E. Lockhart
“What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love?”

E. Lockhart
“She is sugar, curiosity, and rain.”

E. Lockhart
“He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee. I could have looked at him forever.”

E. Lockhart
“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.”

E. Lockhart
“I suffer migraines. I do not suffer fools.”

E. Lockhart
“But the thing that makes me really messed up is the contradiction: when I'm not hating myself, I feel righteous and victmized. Like the world is so unfair.”

E. Lockhart
“Silence is a protective coating over pain.”

E. Lockhart
“The island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever.”

July 6, 2014 – Shelved
January 5, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
January 5, 2018 – Shelved as: suspense
January 5, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 16, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Murray That was an excellent review, B.A. You said all that was required to get your opinion across by leaving no doubt as to your impression of this work. I will certainly take a look inside.

B.A. Wilson Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.