Val's Reviews > Through The Veil

Through The Veil by Christi Snow

OH MY GODDESS.

I tend to stay away from this genre because I haven't found good ones but I loved Christi Snow's When The Mission Ends romantic-suspense series and the plot of Through the Veil intrigued me so I knew I had to give it a try. I AM SO GLAD I DID.

Long story short: the US has been divided into East States (ES) and West States (WS) by a Veil that no one can cross, except that one day Lori escapes from a lab (in the ES) where she's been experimented (because she has powers) and crosses the Veil. She arrives to the ES and falls into Marcus's feet. He rescues her and takes her under his wing (literally, because this guy and every other person in the WS has wings and powers), even though Lori doesn't have wings and he has no idea how she crossed the "impenetrable" Veil.

The connection between Marcus and Lori is instant and holy-mother-of-god, full of sparks and flames. There's a lot of chemistry between this two. Christi Snow does a terrific job writing their interactions, feelings and H-O-T sex, make-out and kissing scenes. And even though it might've seem too soon, I believed they were meant to be.

Individually, it rarely happens that I like the hero/heroine outside of them as couple, but here it does happen. Marcus went through a terrible loss and is still a little hurt. Luckily, he doesn't let the hurt mess with his job and showing his protector, funny and adorable personality. Lori in the other hand, starts weak (mentally and emotionally) but as the story progresses she finally embraces her strength.

The best part…

Through the Veil is not just a love story. There are more layers to it:

There's friendship, courage, unity… I loved every Marcus and Lori interaction but I also loved the friendship between the Warriors (a group where Marcus belongs that is in charge of the security of the WS). I believed they've known each other for a long time and that they care for every one of them. I laughed along side them (a lot and I was not expecting that, love it! ), I grinned and I cried (yes those last moments made me cry).

In few words:

Through the Veil gave me SO MANY FEELINGS and EMOTIONS. It is one of the best books I've read in a long time; one of the best starts of a series too. While many beginnings are boring because they're laying the ground for the upcoming books, this one doesn't bore. Yes, it gives the important details so you can know the situation of the new world but it doesn't overwhelm. It is PERFECTION.

Christi Snow is one of the best and most refreshing new voices in romance and she needs more attention. Seriously guys, if you haven't read anything from her, start with this book--even if you're not a PNR fan. She will hook you in the best possible way.

*sigh*

Now I am just counting the months till I can continue this series. I need to know more about the Warriors (and hopefully more of Marcus and Lori, as well).

(view spoiler)

** I received this ARC from net galley in exchange of an honest review. Thank you so much! **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through The Veil.

July 6, 2014 – Shelved
July 6, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 7, 2014 – Shelved as: arc
September 7, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley
September 10, 2014 – Started Reading
September 10, 2014 –
72.0% "I'm gonna cry if this ends with a cliffhanger."
September 10, 2014 –
83.0% "It's time. AAAH! Please don't let them die. Don't let them die!!!"
September 10, 2014 –
93.0% "noooo noooo nooo Griff!!!! :'("
September 10, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-reads
September 14, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-stars-reads
January 22, 2015 – Shelved as: heroine-lights-up-hero-life
January 22, 2015 – Shelved as: psychic-abilities
January 22, 2015 – Shelved as: tortured-scarred-hero

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Christi (new) - added it

Christi Snow OMG...now you have me crying. Oh, I can't tell you how much I love this review. Really, really love it. I love how much you love the characters....just like me. Yippee! I'm so happy. Thank you for taking the time to read and review...and for loving these Warriors as much as me! smiles...

message 2: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Christi wrote: "OMG...now you have me crying. Oh, I can't tell you how much I love this review. Really, really love it. I love how much you love the characters....just like me. Yippee! I'm so happy. Thank you for ..."

Thank you for writing them and for finishing this book and putting it out there even though I know it took you a long time and it was not easy. You did an amazing job!