T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)'s Reviews > Last Argument Of Kings

Last Argument Of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed

This book was every bit as excellent as I expected it to be.

Joe Abercrombie's skill as an author cannot be overstated. The plot moves swiftly, the language is clean, yada yada. He's a great author.

What I enjoyed most about Last Argument of Kings was the characters. Joe Abercrombie writes "grey" characters like no-one else. Is Logen Ninefingers a good man forced into fight after fight, or is he really a homicidal maniac? Is Sand dan Glockta a good man in a bad position, or is he a sociopath?

Just as you think you've got it worked out, Abercrombie has his characters do something that shakes your certainty; this is not fantasy where the characters have the luxury of easy decisions, and they then have to live with the consequences. War is not glorious: it is messy and tragic. Good people die along with the bad. Nobody, as Glockta says, gets what they deserve in life.

Abercrombie also has a master's touch when it comes to poisoning chalices. I don't think anybody ends up with an untainted chalice, although some of the poisons are pretty subtle. The closest, though, is Glockta himself. I was really, really happy about the way that turned out.

This book could be adequately subtitled: Be careful what you ask for: you might just get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Argument Of Kings.

July 6, 2014 – Shelved