Lisa Potts's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Apr 16, 2010

This beautiful story set in New York City in 1979 is a must-read for anyone who enjoys a poignant mystery.

Miranda, our twelve-year-old MC, begins receiving written messages from someone claiming to know the future right after her best friend Sal stops talking to her. On top of that she is trying to help her mom get ready to appear as a contestant on the $20,000 Pyramid.

The best part of this book for me was the vivid immersion in the setting. I was close to Miranda's age in 1979 and could relate to everything going on in her life. The ups and downs of new friendships, struggles of family relationships, and the wonder of that first crush is handled with a lovely touch by the author.

I don't do spoilers so I'll leave the mystery of who is sending the notes for you to find out when you read it. And don't you want to know how the $20,000 Pyramid thing turned out? Come on, we're talking Dick Clark here. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

Theresa Milstein I loved this book. I can't wait to hear what you think.

Lisa Potts Theresa wrote: "I loved this book. I can't wait to hear what you think."

Just getting started, but I'll let you know!