Mike's Reviews > God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian

God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

3195241
Apr 16, 2010

Read in April, 2010

This is a super-quick read, filled with tons of little gems. The premise: It's a series of reports from Heaven, near-death experiences administered under the care of Jack Kevorkian in a lethal injection facility in Huntsville, Texas.

It's the sort of subject matter that could easily come off as trite or condescending or ironic or overly self-aware, but the quick reports are anything but. Vonnegut opens with a short discussion of his humanist beliefs, and the depth of these beliefs is apparent throughout the book. I have a hard time imagining a younger, more cynical writer "reporting" on an interview with Hitler in Paradise and not having it come off with an air of contempt for religion or humanity. Vonnegut's treatment left me with a feeling of some kind of basic dignity that's intrinsic to the human condition.

It's entertaining, efficient writing that left me feeling like I have a better idea of what it means to be walking around on this planet. The fact that it did that while making me feel good is a rare achievement.

If only Richard Dawkins could be as personable a non-theist as Vonnegut.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian.