Jessica-Robyn's Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Apr 15, 2010

bookshelves: fiction-ya, favourites, lgbtqia, romance-ya
Read from May 25 to 26, 2011

This. Book. Is. Awesome.
Now, whenever I come across a book I really love I always find it hard to write something expressing why exactly I love that book specifically over other books. With WG, WG this trend persist. Please bare with me while I ramble this out.

The writing by both John Green and David Levithan is so different in style and story line but in the end meld together incredibly well.

The characters have a wonderful over arc of gayness and yet this ultimate guy on guy love fest is not the pinnacle of the story. I love that. It's not about coming out or being gay in an non-gay world, it's about friendships and relationships and figuring out why these things are awesome despite how flawed people really are.

That is another thing that I love entirely, these characters actually seem like real people, granted people who you probably would never meet, but people that act, and think, and behave like people really do. In most YA fiction you would never see characters get an entire page to rant about their feeling to another character, or having to deal with their emotions in a way that shows their is no right answer. In most YA fiction you do not get the experience of gradually shifting emotions that real people deal with, this book contained an up and down that felt like one of those kiddie roller-coasters at the fair, it's not overly exaggerated for the sake of the ride, it is a steady, yet still incredibly enjoyable experience.

I loved how every 10 pages their was a line or a moment that would make me laugh, out loud, in front of people I don't even know, unashamed to disrupt their silence again, and again.
It's just so funny! Then it would get all cute and then it would be deep or emotional, and then it would be really funny again! This is the sort of book that I want to have on my physical shelf so that I can pick it up, flip to a random page, giggle, and go on with my day tickled.

Overall, this is an awesome book, and I love it, and that is all I need to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Quotes Jessica-Robyn Liked

John Green
“Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters.”
John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson

05/25/2011 page 45
05/26/2011 page 146
47.0% ""it's like he's being tickled by life." :D"
05/26/2011 page 163
53.0% ""I mean, certainly, not everyone sucks in the same way, and not everyone sucks equally, but everyone sucks at least a little.""
04/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I keep seeing this at the library and so many people have given it positive reviews. I'll have to put it on my to-read list.

Great review.

Wendy Darling I really need to read this one, everyone just raves and raves!