C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

bookshelves: 5-star, dystopian, read-2014, young-adult, ya-without-romance, ya-male-narrators

I'm still absolutely blown away. THIS BOOK IS FREAKING BRILLIANT. Seriously, I ate it in a day. Just ONE DAY.

Dystopians and me have a love/hate relationship. I love them, but I'm tired of the monotony. This breaks dystopian cliches and just zooms into more of a survival state. And it actually goes for character development.

Thomas is the narrator and...ah, Thomas. His only issue, I think, is that he was too perfect. He was brave to the millionth degree and kind of self-sacrificing. So while I loved him, I just wanted him to do something dumb...just to shake things up. Chuck was also awesome. He was 12, so more of a "pet" you might say, then a peer, but I loved his dogged loyalty. I had trouble figuring out the difference between Alby and Newt. They...merged. Gally was insane. But I felt sorry for him. And Minho was freakishly awesome, once he stopped being a jerk. Teresa? She could've been developed a bit more. I felt like she was shoved to the back burner most of the time, because she was a girl and omg how do we treat girls??

There's a lot of slang. And it's original slang, which I usually hate. But this time? I LOVED IT. It felt original and cool and natural. Although "shuck" was a bit too much like "fuck" in my personal opinion. Actually the slang mostly felt English, too. And at first it was like "Woah, what are you saying?" but I fell into rhythm with it almost as fast as Thomas.

Soooo...negatives? The way nobody would freakin' explain ANYTHING! It drove me batty! Like all they said to Thomas was "shut up and you'll figure it out". No. STAHP. Just tell me all the things before I hit someone. And it wasn't a good frustration....it was a "they're dragging this out to the umpth degree aren't they?" It got tedious.

It's in 3rd person, but it still felt pretty personalized to Thomas' POV. I loved that. I loved Thomas' style and thought-pattern and basically... Thomas. But sometimes the writing got clunky. The description would be VERY intense. And I confess, I had trouble visualising the end.

Okay...so I confess...I read this because I'm dying to watch the movie. Hey, but at least I read the book first, right?! The movie has an amazing and awesome and mildly adorable cast. BUT THAT'S NOT THE ONLY REASON I WANT TO SEE IT. I also love the story, of course, duh.
description
description

Basically, if you're looking for an epic dystopian with fantastic characters and unique plot: THIS IS IT. Read it. Fangirl with me. (Over the book not just the movie cast...gah, stop doubting me.) And BRING ME BOOK #2 STAT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

Quotes C.G. Liked

James Dashner
“Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho asked, pulling Thomas's attention away from Alby.
"Go ahead," Newt replied.
Minho nodded and faced the crowd. "Be careful," he said dryly. "Don't die.”

“WICKED is good”

James Dashner
“It's kind of hard to ask a dead guy what he did wrong.”

James Dashner
“Just follow me and run like your life depends on it. Because it does.”

July 5, 2014 – Shelved
July 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 23, 2014 – Started Reading
July 23, 2014 –
page 208
56.06% "ERMAGERD THIS IS GOOD STUFF."
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: dystopian
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 24, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by Mariana (new)

Mariana The second book is even better, in my opinion, you will love it!!

C.G. Drews I'm so reading it soon. x) I want to know what their real names are!

Abby HORRRRAY CAIT LIKED MAZE RUNNER!!! I am so excited for the movie!!!! Shuckiest shucked-face shuck! Lol!

C.G. Drews THE MOVIE AAJSDFAKLDF.

Emily♥ Yes to all of this!!

Mirriam Neal DYLAN O'BRIENS;DLGKJ

Lisa Pickle I loved the first book but the other two went downhill in my opinion. I had to force myself to finish The Death Cure and it was meh. But The Maze Runner was amazing! It was one of those books that I read and just admired the brain that it came from XD

Mirriam Neal I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE MOVIE *hyperventilating* when I saw they had cast Dylan as Thomas I almost died.

C.G. Drews @Emily: EEEEEEEP.

@Mirriam: YES OMG YES. THE ENTIRE CAST IS JUST FANTASTIC. WILL POULTER IS AWESOME. (Have you seen Son of Ranbow? That movie is freaking adorable.) AND THEN DYLAN O'BRIEN AND ALSO JUST ALL OF THEM. ASDFLKAJSAF

@Lisa: Noooooo I WANT TO LOVE THEM ALL. Heh. I'll have to see, eh?! XD

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Pickle You'll probably love them because... (eep don't kill me please) I felt the same way with the Divergent series. Divergent was so awesome I can't even word but Insurgent and Allegiant...? *whispers* I actually didn't even finish Allegiant...

Mirriam Neal I didn't even finish DIVERGENT.
The movie was way better.
I KNOW WILL POULTER BUT I'M WAY MOST EXCITED ABOUT DYLAN BECAUSE I LOVE HIM

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews *runs in circles screaming* I LOVED ALLEGIANT.

Hehe...It's okay. I won't come after you with small sharp knives. It's okay that you didn't like them. XD I probably won't be reading the rest of the Maze Runner series ASAP (because I'm planning on giving reading a rest and, like, writing soon) but I'm definitely going to try them. ;)

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Pickle I want to see the Divergent movie so bad.

NO! I didn't HATE Allegiant I just... I was SO frustrated with the characters and I still cared about them enough that I didn't want to read any more of them doing frustrating things. And also, I knew a certain very large spoiler, and so I didn't have much to look forward to XD

Mirriam Neal ERIC <3 <3 <3
SERIOUSLY <3 <3 ,3
JAI <3 <3 <3
I have a serious thing for anybody Jai plays XD Plus I always kind of liked Eric <_<

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Pickle How? That's all I ask. How do you even like someone like him?

Brooke *obnoxious fangirl screaming* The Maze Runner was the best! You need to go read the rest in the trilogy, the ending was SO good! I've heard The Kill Order isn't all that great which is a bummer, but at least this book and the ones following it are amazing!

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Brooke: I totally just bought the boxset (which I never do...like run out and buy a book, hehe) BUT I COULD NOT HELP MYSELF!! I'm soooo excited for The Scorch Trials!

Hannah Walsh CAIT I just read this book and OH MY WORD. I'm obsessed. Have you seen the movie yet, girl?

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews NO NOT YET. BUT I REALLY WANT TO.

Hannah Walsh I THINK YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Stephanie I finally just got done reading this and after flailing over the same books as you, I'm just going to read what you've read. Lol, I sadly seen the movie first but it took nothing away from reading and enjoying the book.

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Stephanie: YAY THIS MAKES ME SO GLAD. I loved the movie. I LOVED IT SO MUCH I CANNOT EVEN. I think the book and movie are literally perfect.

Angelica Raine Hope you ended up watching the film, I watched it last night and actually loved it more than the book!

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Angelica: I do LOVE the film, but I love them equally. xD

Aisha B. Finally some people that actually have great taste in books.
MAZE RUNNER RULES!

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Aisha: *HI FIVES* IT IS AN AMAZING SERIES!!!

madalyn ( polaroid books ) YES! THE BOOK WAS SO GOOD! I AM ALMOST DONE WITH THE SERIES AND IT ONLY TOOK ME SEVENTEEN DAYS TO READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS.
oh wait, i forgot to read the prequel....oops :D
GREAT REVIEW BY THE WAY! MAZE RUNNER RULES!

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Maddie: YAYYYY THAT YOU LIKED IT TOO. I haven't read the prequel yet BUT I'M GOING TO. :D

message 29: by Schly (new)

Schly LOL

message 30: by Schly (new)

Schly I love your review.

Prachi You ate it in a day. Just ONE DAY. Omg, what an accomplishment. Girl, please.