Dana's Reviews > Snow Like Ashes

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

bookshelves: edelweiss, fantasy, high-fantasy, novels-read, romance, young-adult, wrote-review, arcs

Snow Like Ashes banner
First of all, we all need to take a moment and appreciate that gorgeous cover! *sighs contentedly*

"Snow Like Ashes" was epic! I always hate setting books aside so I can do schoolwork, but this was a first time in a while that I couldn't focus at all because I couldn't stop thinking about a book.

The beginning of the book starts is a lot slower than the end, but I think the gradual pace worked well in this case. There's so much world-building to learn about -- eight kingdoms!!! -- and I don't think I would've understood anything if Raasch had jumped right in with ass-kicking and throat-slashing. I'll admit that I was overwhelmed by the world-building at first, but it was truly worth it. Raasch constructed such a wonderful, unique, magical world unlike any I've read about before. The idea of each kingdom's magic being linked to an item that can only be yielded by a blood heir is very cool. It's clear that Raasch spend a lot of time creating the history and traditions in "Snow Like Ashes."

Once the pacing increases, so does the action. Meira is badass. She definitely knows how to use that chakram on the cover. She never hesitates to jump to the frontlines, even when Sir forbids her from doing so. Throughout the book, she risks her life several times for the sake of her fellow Winterians. I really admire her strong will and her desire to do anything for her country and her companions, especially Winter's future king Mather.

I AM IN LOVE WITH MATHER! From the start, it's clear that he's destined to be a great leader. He has such a strong sense of honor and bravery. As a male heir, he will never be able to utilize Winter's conduit, the source of Winter's magic that can only be controlled by a female heir. He desperately wants to do right by his kingdom, but he never feels worthy of his inheritance. My heart panged for him.

There is a love triangle in "Snow Like Ashes," so I will just say this now: if Meira doesn't marry Mather, I WILL!

That being said, I was wonderfully surprised to see that the romance took a backseat to the action in "Snow Like Ashes." This book wasn't about the hot guys; it was all about Meira. That's the way it should be! Meira grew so much in this book.

I was actually really annoyed during the first part of the book, when Meira succumbed to being a political tool, forced to marry Prince Theron because Winter needed an ally. She was so determined to be a soldier, to fight for Winter and earn the honor she wanted. Then, she realizes that Sir expects her to fulfill her duty to Winter as a the bride in a political marriage instead of as a soldier, and she kind of just begrudgingly accepts her role. I wasn't okay with that.

Fortunately, Meira comes to her senses soon enough. By the end of the book, she learns a lot about herself and she takes on her rightful role. She becomes the fighter she's always wanted to be, as well as a leader, a role she never thought she'd have.

Bottom Line
"Snow Like Ashes" is unique and magical and simply amazing! Raasch crafted a vibrant new world and a spectacular, suspenseful tale to match its magical setting.

Meira is definitely a protagonist to root for, and I really enjoyed seeing her grow and find her place during the course of the story.

There's a sprinkling of romance, just enough to add to the story without distracting from the real focus, the fight for Winter and Meira's growth. Naturally, I managed to also fall head-over-heels for Mather.

The story wrapped up perfectly, both satisfying me and leaving me yearning for more. I can't wait for book two!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Like Ashes.

Quotes Dana Liked

Sara Raasch
“No matter what happens, no matter who turns on me, no matter what pompous swine thinks he has power over me, I am still me. I will always be me.”

Sara Raasch
“They make decisions; they mold your future. The trick is to find a way to still be you through it all.”

Sara Raasch
“Someday we will be more than words in the dark.”

July 4, 2014 – Shelved
July 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 31, 2014 – Shelved as: edelweiss
August 8, 2014 – Started Reading
August 8, 2014 –
37.0% "Nooooo! Mather, you idiot!"
August 8, 2014 –
40.0% "Oh, my... there's a lot of testosterone for one room."
August 9, 2014 –
86.0% "OMG! I WAS RIGHT! I can't believe I was right!"
August 9, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy