Ashley's Reviews > I'll Meet You There

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Jul 04, 2014

bookshelves: i-own-this-hardcover, signed-books, reviewed-books-belletristic-books, favorites

This review can be found over at my blog Belletristic Books!

Do you love contemporary young adult books? If you answered yes to this question, then I highly suggest you get I’ll Meet You There stat! And even if you aren’t that big of a fan of young adult realistic fiction, I think reading this book would be beneficial just to get into the minds of some individuals who I don’t believe are often portrayed in young adult literature.

This is the first title I’ve read by Heather Demetrios and I’m glad I started with it since I super enjoyed this book! This tale involves a lot of really intense issues and yet manages to seem very optimistic too. Despite the tragedy occurring quite often in this book, many of its characters still seem ready and willing to fight for what they consider their happy ending to be.

One of the main complications in this is how the two main characters seem stuck in their small town. Their hometown is a place where it appears as though the multitude of the population is dealing with problems with alcohol and poverty. I feel like I haven’t seen a lot of young adult books that deals with characters that are so destitute, which seems crazy considering it can be a big issue for many teenagers. This book felt refreshing since it’s a good look into how intricate life really is. Sky just wants her freedom and she considers her scholarship to an art school away from Creek View as her ticket out. Since her father passed away, she’s had a difficult time dealing with her Mom who seems quite fragile. Sky is ready to make her own life and see exotic places away from her hometown. Josh thought he found his way out via the Marines but he returns home with a whole range of complicated problems. He has to wear a prosthetic leg and is depressed over losing friends while in Afghanistan. He doesn’t understand why he’s still living and what he’s supposed to do with his life.

While reading I’ll Meet You There, I was quite surprised to see Sky and Josh become more friendly and eventually falling for each other because they’re such different people. Sky’s considered a “good girl” and Josh has a bit of a drinking problem as well as a history of being a womanizer. But they’ve both been looking for a way to get out of Creek View. However, this book really made me think about how perhaps home isn’t a place but a person. What if finding a way out isn’t through leaving but from finding someone you feel comfortable with who understands you?

This book just gave me so many feels – it’s cute yet realistic and so hopeful but awesome! Demetrios doesn’t sugarcoat this story. Her characters are both diverse and complex. The struggles they face felt real to me and I thought it was beneficial to read about issues that I haven’t faced. Especially since I feel like the problems brought up when war is involved is something that isn’t really seen in young adult books. For me, this book is definitely 5 out of 5 stars. I’ll Meet You There is an exceptionally written and intriguing story that’s definitely become a new favorite!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Meet You There.

July 4, 2014 – Shelved