BookLover's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

liked it
bookshelves: romance, tpl, reviews, author-first-reads, tpla

I’m a bit back and forth on this one in my mind. I love all things Jane Austen and while this wasn’t as good as the original, (obviously) I for the most part enjoyed it. The hard part in a “fan fiction” type adaption, much the same as a sequel telling the same story but from an alternating point of view, is the challenge to hold a reader’s interest. I mean, it’s not like there are going to be any significant surprises. I pretty much know what is going to happen.

In this book, I often found myself (I don’t want to say bored because that’s too strong a word) less engaged? But, even knowing the general direction of the story, it was well written and had enough differences to keep me engaged to the end.

I listened to the audio book version of this book and I have to say, the narrator did a great job portraying Lizzie Bennet. I laughed a lot throughout this book and much of that humour came in the way the narrator delivered the sarcastic dialogue.

I really enjoyed the adaptation of each of the characters, with the exception of Darcy. This version of Darcy, sadly, was a big FAIL for me. A modern day, stiff speaking (I mean, really, who speaks like that?), snobby hipster? I don’t think so!!!! I still imagine Darcy as Colin Firth portrayed him and this version held zero appeal for me.

Still, good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet.

July 4, 2014 – Shelved
January 9, 2016 – Shelved as: reviews
January 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 10, 2016 – Shelved as: author-first-reads
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: tpla

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, babe! ;)

BookLover Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Great review, babe! ;)"
Thank you Arianna!!!

bluerose I agree that the book on its own isn’t great. It needs to be paired with the web series, which is excellent.