Lain's Reviews > The Seven Stages Of Motherhood

The Seven Stages Of Motherhood by Ann Pleshette Murphy

Ann Pleshette Murphy turns her vast skills as a mother (of two) and writer (former editor of Parenting magazine) into this filled-to-the-brim book. In a refreshing take on parenting tomes, Murphy focuses on the mother instead of on the child.

I found the early sections to be full of "oh my gosh, I can relate" moments as I laughed and nodded along with Murphy's personal tales as well as the anecdotes from hundreds of women, and I made mental notes of her suggestions in the sections for parents of older kids.

My biggest complaint is that because the book is divided by age, two-thirds of it did not apply to me, and would apply to women only at certain times in their lives. I would have liked to see her divide this book into several different volumes, each addressing a different age group. That way you could read about what you're going through and what immediately awaits you, but save the discussions about teens and tweens (in my case) for later years when they're more applicable.

Another complaint was that while Murphy had no problems addressing homosexual relationships in teenagers, noticeably absent was any discussion of religion or spirituality for kids (or parents).

I really believe that spirituality/faith is such a crucial part of parenting, that I cannot imagine writing a book without including any mention of these topics. I felt that Murphy became a bit too "PC" in addressing the issues facing older kids.

Nonetheless, this is one of the few books I've read that have discusses what moms go through at different ages of their children. Though I probably won't pick it up again when my kids are older (who has time for re-reading books??), I will take some of her recommendations to heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Stages Of Motherhood.

Finished Reading