Tori's Reviews > Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough

Marry Him by Lori Gottlieb

Apr 15, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-2010, read-in-my-30s, relationships
Recommended to Tori by: all the horrible articles about it
Recommended for: single women who would like to get married one day

I am changing my mind and going with 4 stars.

I wanted to read this for a couple of reasons.

1. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. This book caused such a huge commotion when it came out. I don't think the people who were complaining about this book actually read the book. She doesn't say everyone needs to be married. She just says that she wants to be married and she knows that a lot of her friends do to and she is just reanalyzing whether maybe they were looking for the wrong traits which I would agree that they were.

2. I am going through a divorce and I think that is good time to consider what qualities you are looking for in someone.

I think this book is aimed at a pretty specific target audience....career oriented women who also want to get married and have children. I don't want to have kids so a lot of this book really didn't apply to me. That's why for me I think I can only give it 3 stars even though I enjoyed her writing style a lot and it was interesting to hear from a lot of the experts she spoke with.

I think any women that are ruling guys out based on their height or their hair color (or lack of hair) should read this book. I have already dated guys 5'4" - 6'6" and every color hair and balding so I already knew was a good idea not to discriminate in those areas. I don't know if the facts are true, but my favorite part of the book was where the guy tells her the % of the women looking for a guy 6 feet or taller versus the actual % of guys out there who are 6 feet or taller.

I did learn one imporatant thing that made it worthwhile for me to read this book...I think I was looking for a couple of traits that are probably mutually exclusive and that was key to realize.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marry Him.