JFN's Reviews > Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind

Positioning by Al Ries

Apr 15, 2010

it was ok

In my job, there's some downtime. It's feast or famine writing. So our superiors have requested that in these periods of nothingness we delve into some reading with the goal of honing some sort of skills, i.e., professional development. Ok. Fine. Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind is one of the books on our list.

This is certainly not a book I would have ever picked up on my own, and I've yet to determine if it's made an impression on me. Hmmmmm. Well, yeah, I guess it has a little bit. Some points stand out. I feel like a lot of it is common sense, but then again when you're an intuitive person and you make your living as a persuasive writer, maybe it's just that I've already grasped a lot of the points the book is shooting to make.

This is a very quick read. No sentence is longer than eight words. A fifth grader could get through it. Whether or not said fifth grader would absorb the material is another matter, however. It's also an old book, published in 1981, I think. And it dates itself big time, even in the 20th anniversary edition I read. The reference to Tab being a better selling product than the failure Diet Pepsi was amusing.

If you're at all interested in how the advertising or successful politicking mind works, you might want to read this. (That is, after all, what they had us read it for). You also might enjoy it if you're a fan of the show Mad Men. I find that I appreciated and enjoyed this book more because of my love of Mad Men, and it helped get me through the more boring parts when I was asking myself, frustrated "Why the fuck am I reading this again???"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Positioning.

April 15, 2010 – Started Reading