Sandi's Reviews > Odd Thomas

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

Apr 14, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, horror, library-books-read, california-lit, ghost-stories

Orange County, CA is home to at least 3 famous authors: T Jefferson Parker, Gregory Benford and Dean Koontz. In preparation for the LA Times Festival of Books, I checked books by two of the three authors out of the library. I'm pretty sure I've read Gregory Benford before, so I skipped him.

Odd Thomas was recommended to me as a good introduction to Koontz's work. I was really pleased with the experience. I liked Koontz's writing style in this book very much and the story was excellent. Who can resist a ghost story that includes the ghost of Elvis Presley? This books was a great blend of horror, humor and pathos. Odd is a very endearing character. I like how Koontz kept the narrative very concise an didn't over-explain what was going on. He does the first-person POV very well and doesn't tell us stuff the protagonist doesn't know.

As far as horror writers go, I suspect that Koontz is a better writer than Stephen King. I will have to read a few more books by both authors before I say for certain though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Odd Thomas.

April 14, 2010 – Started Reading