Clif's Reviews > The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

Apr 14, 2010

Read in April, 2010

Set sail on a ship of sarcasm. Troost doesn't let a page go by without a good quip or two as he and his wife-to-be spend a couple of years on the most remote place on earth.

If you're an armchair traveler like I am, you'll enjoy this account of mingling with the natives of the Gilbert Islands (Tarawa in particular), a songful people with an unaccountable taste for that momentary phenomenon, La Macarena. The beauties of the sea and sky are balanced by the lack of just about every convenience you and I have available daily. Unreliable power, unreliable drinking water, unreliable airlines, unreliable ship arrivals, unreliable mail and food (except for fish). But there is always plenty of Spam and canned corned beef that the locals love.

This was the first book Troost wrote and I notice he has continued his island adventures in more recent books, but for them he visited more technologically connected places like Fiji and Tahiti so I think this account is likely the most interesting. You won't be able to get through it without smiling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Lives of Cannibals.