Sera's Reviews > The Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Dec 02, 2007

bookshelves: favorites, classics, own, 1001-books
Read in March, 1987

A must read for every Steinbeck fan. Set during the Depression, this book follows one family's struggle to survive. Although I'm not a huge fan of the ending, it serves its purpose of hope for a better future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grapes of Wrath.

Jennifer that ending was wack. but i think it was incredibly powerful and i am glad steinbeck went there. which sounds so weird to say. i believe it goes back to ma joad and then theme throughout about poor people being the only ones who will help other poor people. what else did the joads have left to give at this point in the story? nothing. and i sort of feel like rose of sharon's entire purpose - all that she went through - was for this one humane moment. wack but wow.

Sera The ending still weirds me out, but I do agree that it leaves the reader with hope in humanity. I am so happy that you also loved this book, because I love it so hard.

Julie My first reaction to the ending was similar to yours. It was kind of creepy. It does make the reader uncomfortable, but you know what....there is nothing comfortable about starving to death or many of the things the Joads went through.