Lola 's Reviews > Gates of Thread and Stone

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, meh

*1.5 stars*

Book,

description

The only period of time when this story gripped my attention was at the beginning…obviously because, hey, gorgeous cover + intriguing blurb = hype to me and I’ve been waiting to read this one for awhile now.

This is a great example of do not judge a book by its cover. Still, I don’t actually regret reading the book since I HAD to try it. And I did, but it didn’t work for me.

First of all, the pacing: it was very slow and, even though I can manage slow, it’s not working well with the story and concept. I mean, sure, they’re (Kai and Avan) searching for Kai’s brother and a search is usually slow but you can’t just base your plot on that…except that’s what the author did. Blood Red Road managed it much much better...

Sure, they do meet some people along the way but them meeting those people wasn’t interesting. It was just okay…now can we actually look for the guy now? You know how some books have some small events and stuff happening between the main ones? Well this one didn’t. It felt very very planned and too organized. As if the author had a list of ok, now Kai goes to see that guy and then they’ll go to the school she and Avan and then meet new people who can help them enter the Tournament (which, by the way, wasn't exciting.)

They kept meeting new characters and meeting new characters ALL THE TIME.

It was seriously boring and repetitive.

Then, there is the romance... WHAT ROMANCE? Kai is definitely not looking for a boyfriend! She’s looking for her brother and that’s all she does. Her mind is focused on finding the person she loves the most and that’s all, with some few exceptions.

Sure, she has some sweet moments with Avan but those sweet moments are mostly friendly ones. Because that's what they are: friends! She did have many opportunities though but does she take them? No, because her feelings for him are not clear. She’s confused...so I, reader, was annoyed.

At about 90% of the story, she sees more clearly but the happy dance didn't come because I was too exhausted with reading a book I don't enjoy.

There is also the gargoyles.

Gargoyles.

Gargoyles.

Why were there gargoyles in this story? I was always wondering how the characters didn't do anything about those gargoyles and why they were in this story in the first place since they just DON'T FIT.

Well, according to the author, this is why:
Gargoyles had been native reptiles once, before Rebirth happened more than two centuries ago. But the mass collection of magic and technology during the war had changed them and killed off their major predators.

So yeah…what?! It's not a good enough reason, and I wanted to let it go but to me it doesn’t make sense for them to be in the story.

Also, the main character is able to slow down time. The problem is that her power is actually so so so boring. She doesn’t even use it with perfection, as if she just got it, when that is a false statement. I mean, she SLOWS DOWN TIME. She doesn’t stop it. If she were like Piper in the Charmed TV show, then I would have liked her power and her at the same time probably much much more.

The writing was good but the dialogs didn’t feel natural. And we don’t get a lot of personal information or memories about Kai when that is normally how I get to connect with the main character and get invested in her story…so I didn’t. At first, yes, but then it slowly slipped away.

Finally, I think it could get better, as for the sequel being better. It has potential, if only the world-building was more detailed, the romance more present, Kai’s powers evolved to a point where she can do many other things with ‘time’ and if it had more action.

If those things really are applied to the sequel, I probably would enjoy it more than this one.

Oh and, please, a more coherent explanation for the gargoyles’ existence because now I just want them to be exterminated and make a forgetting potion so everyone would forget about them so it feels like they never existed so the world-building makes more sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gates of Thread and Stone.

July 2, 2014 – Shelved
August 19, 2014 – Started Reading
August 21, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Why is it that some of the worst books we read always have the prettiest covers.

DECEPTION TO THE EYES, I TELL YOU!!! If you want a good story with gargoyles in it, (and a gorgeous cover to boot), try reading The Beautiful and the Cursed.

message 2: by Kuroi (new)

Kuroi I have never understood how one can put gargoyles into a story and hope to make it credible. I'm sorry it was such a waste of time, Lola.

Lola Katherine wrote: "Why is it that some of the worst books we read always have the prettiest covers.

I don't know...:/ So disappointing.

Hhaha, yeah!! I will never look at it the same way. Thanks for the rec, going to check that book out now :D

Lola Krishna *wants to be a black wolf* wrote: "I have never understood how one can put gargoyles into a story and hope to make it credible. I'm sorry it was such a waste of time, Lola."

Well there is Ruby Red and its series that has a gargoyle in it and he's so cute. ^_^ The author totally pulled it off. LOL
But in this one, it's completely ABSURD!
Thanks, Krishna :D

message 5: by Kuroi (new)

Kuroi Hmm, the blurb doesn't make it seem like gargoyles are involved. Anyway, it's hard to be interested in a guy who's a stone demon in his spare time, lol.

Lola Well he's like a pet, ahahaha. Not a guy, he's really really a gargoyle. XD

message 7: by Kuroi (new)

Kuroi OHH. That makes more sense :D

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts! Oh! I'm gonna read this next. Hahaha! Let's see... :P

Lola HA, good luck. ;)) Can't wait to read your thoughts. ^_^

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts! I got your review as a warning. Yay! Haha.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Oh nooo, so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this! i have this coming up soon and it sounds terrible :(

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess So whilst I postponed this, I think I may just as well step way back, far away from it. I'm getting quite iffy nowadays about what supernatural/paranormal creatures that I can digest. Gargoyles/statues and whatnots are a definite no. Great review, Lola!

Lola Jeann (Happy Indulgence) wrote: "Oh nooo, so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this! i have this coming up soon and it sounds terrible :("

Yeah, it's very boring. Hope you enjoy though! :)

Lola Jess wrote: "So whilst I postponed this, I think I may just as well step way back, far away from it. I'm getting quite iffy nowadays about what supernatural/paranormal creatures that I can digest. Gargoyles/sta..."

Yeah, there are some many possibilities and they can't all work out. Well gargoyles are not a huge element in the story but there was no real reason for them to be there. Thanks! :)

Rachel Reads Ravenously Fabulous review Lola! I am constantly reading books based on the pretty cover too, so I have to tell myself STAHP!
Better luck next time friend! xx

Lola Thanks Rachel. :) LOL, I don't think it's a bad thing but we just have to stop expecting them to be fabuloouus all the time.
Yup! ^_^
xooxox

message 17: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Aww no. I was looking forward for this book. I might read this still but I'm not that excited anymore. Thanks for the honest review, Lola! :D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly what I thought, you nailed this review, LOLA!

like you always do :)

Lola Sarah wrote: "Aww no. I was looking forward for this book. I might read this still but I'm not that excited anymore. Thanks for the honest review, Lola! :D"

Yeah me too, was really excited. It just laaaaacked. Thanks Sarah and I really hope you enjoy it! xx

Andreea Pop Told you about the slow pace :( Sorry you didn't like it as much as I did. What did you think about the humor?

Lola Ɲαʈαsɦα ♕ wrote: "Exactly what I thought, you nailed this review, LOLA!

like you always do :)"

Awww, that is just so sweet. I hope people mean it when they tell me that!

Also, what did you think of the gargoyles?? They were so random creatures to be in the story...right??

Lola Andreea wrote: "Told you about the slow pace :( Sorry you didn't like it as much as I did. What did you think about the humor?

And great review, sweetie! It still amazes me how different two people can view a book."

Yeah, I was expecting it but I didn't know the plot was going to be so boring (for me.) What humor? :P ...humor? You mean the MC? She wasn't funny. I don't know. Care to elaborate? :)

Thanks :D Yeah, me too!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course we mean it, hun!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

It was like they have the bad gargoyles and the possessed "not dangerous" gargoyles and I'm just like Who the hell actually cares! !! I feel like all they did was scare Kai and really the fear was just stupid, they just chase after iron horses half the time!!!

Lola Ɲαʈαsɦα ♕ wrote: "Of course we mean it, hun!

Yeah, the gargoyles were just stupid (imo) they didn't really affect the story much lol!"

Okay :D

THEY WERE! I agree that it didn't affect the story but I was like why were they there? Why...gargoyles? xd

Lola Ɲαʈαsɦα ♕ wrote: "It was like they have the bad gargoyles and the possessed "not dangerous" gargoyles and I'm just like Who the hell actually cares! !! I feel like all they did was scare Kai and really the fear was ..."

It was weird. ».«

You were so right about the book, by the way...

Never will I doubt you... ;)

Andreea Pop Lola wrote: "Andreea wrote: "Told you about the slow pace :( Sorry you didn't like it as much as I did. What did you think about the humor?

And great review, sweetie! It still amazes me how different two peop..."

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, Lola :)) I wanted to laaaaugh. But I didn't. Oh, well.

I'm actually considering downgrading my rating for this one since I gave it 3.5 stars and I rounded it up. But the more I think about this book, my "love" for it diminishes visibly.

Lola LOL, I didn't expect to laugh. XD I rarely expect to laugh with fantasy books. Well, if you want a SUPER GOOD LAUGH, and like M/M romance (light) I highly higly recommend Know Not Why, which I'm currently reading.

I can't even imagine myself giving it a 4 star. It must be really enjoyable for me to do so...and let's not start talking about 5 stars. XD

Andreea Pop I did it -- I changed it to 3 and I'm quite happy with myself. I'm so biased with a book right after I finish it that sometimes it takes me a while to notice all its flaws.

Thanks for the rec! The only fantasy books that made me laugh were the ToG books and the Grisha series. But just enough to keep it enjoyable, not full-on laughter.

Lola I'm so proud of you...LOL
I must sound like such a bitch right now. Hope the author doesn't read the commentaries too...but I have a feeling she will. Mean mean Lola.

You're welcome! Really? Throne of Glass made you laugh?? Hm...okaay The Grisha I haven't read but I do own the the first 2 books so guess will have to one day. ;)

Know Not Why is HILARIOUS. I actually rarely laugh but that one is so so much fun! YOU MUST give it a try. ^^

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist I was thinking the same way when I read the blurb- it reminded me on Blood Red Road. Sorry the book wasn't as good as that one Lola. Great review! :)

Lola It has some similarities with Blood Red Road but the MCs are veeery different though. xd You've read that book? Blood Red Road had a...special writing. Thank you, Purple! :)

Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar) I thought Blood Red Road was really good. The writing confused me at first but then I started warming too it. Well, this is one hell of a disappointment because I really was looking forward to reading it. UGH, not anymore. Thanks though, now I don't have to waste my parents money. :P

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist Lola wrote: "It has some similarities with Blood Red Road but the MCs are veeery different though. xd You've read that book? Blood Red Road had a...special writing. Thank you, Purple! :)"

I loved Blood Red Road! That reminds me- I still haven't read the 2nd book of that series.

Lola Selena: Blood Red Road was good yeah. A different reading with a different writing style. At first I thought I had the wrong book copy...LOL

I was looking forward to reading it too. Very very much. :( But yay for saving money! I usually borrow the new releases when I can because I'm suspicious when the ratings aren't high enough.

Lola *P*u*r*p*l*e* wrote: "Lola wrote: "It has some similarities with Blood Red Road but the MCs are veeery different though. xd You've read that book? Blood Red Road had a...special writing. Thank you, Purple! :)"

I loved ..."

Haven't either! I heard it's pretty boring because it's Jack's POV.

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist Yeah, I heard that too :/

Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar) Lola wrote: "Selena: Blood Red Road was good yeah. A different reading with a different writing style. At first I thought I had the wrong book copy...LOL

I was looking forward to reading it too. Very very much..."

*Snorts* That's really smart.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome review, Lola!!! Better luck next time ! :D

message 40: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Great honest review, Lola! I hope your next read is better ;)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Sorry it missed the mark completely Lola! = S

message 42: by Leah (new)

Leah Excellent review, Lola. I love gargoyles, but I'd want them to play a substantial part in any story, and that blurb on them alone would make me steer clear of this story, regardless of the pretty, pretty cover.

Again, thanks for saving me from a book I'd most likely not enjoy.

message 43: by Mysza (new)

Mysza So it's one of those, huh? Great blurb and cover and nth else..... Sorry it bored you babe. Fab review!

message 44: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Bummer that the book didn't work out, Lola :(

Lola Sanae wrote: "Awesome review, Lola!!! Better luck next time ! :D"

Thanks Sanae!! :)

Lola Ilze wrote: "Great honest review, Lola! I hope your next read is better ;)"

Thank you Ilze!! :)

Lola SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Sorry it missed the mark completely Lola! = S"

Thanks Sue! :)

Lola Leah wrote: "Excellent review, Lola. I love gargoyles, but I'd want them to play a substantial part in any story, and that blurb on them alone would make me steer clear of this story, regardless of the pretty,..."

Well they're not a HUGE part of the story but they were just not right, you know? Was strange.

Welcome. ;) And thank you.

Lola Mysza wrote: "So it's one of those, huh? Great blurb and cover and nth else..... Sorry it bored you babe. Fab review!"

Yes....:((( One of those. Thank you. xx

Lola Alejandro wrote: "Bummer that the book didn't work out, Lola :("

Thanks Alejandro!! :)