CJ - It's only a Paper Moon's Reviews > Angels' Blood

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Apr 14, 2010

bookshelves: steamy, vampires, angels, women-hero, romance
Read on January 31, 2011

Why didn't I read this sooner?

Who cares. The point is that I did. In one day.

This book had all the makings of a cliched PNR. Strong female with a bad sense of self-preservation and a stronger power that was wrapped in a sexy as all hell wrapping.

And that's where it stops. I'm not huge on Angels. I mean, I like 'em and I'll read them but I'm more about Weres and other shifters.

Elena is one tough cookie and Raphael is as well. They remind me of a stronger Eve and Roarke (from JD Robb's "In Death" series) with the same electrifying chemistry and the push/pull of not wanting to get involved but can't deny how they physically feel.

With a psychotic angel going around killing folks, in large quantities, Raphael - the Archangel of NY and that of half of the US - needs a qualified born hunter who can track an angel who is not an angel. Enter Elena, a woman with a dark and damaged past but a woman is both tough and compassionate. While there are times I wanted to shake my head and just nudge her arm to tell her to shut up, she was very rarely wrong and fear, well fear can make you stupid.

The actual plot though, of the pyscho angel, didn't really start until halfway in. Before that is the dance that Elena and Raphael do and while not boring, a part of you wonders when the actual mystery will get solved.

Also, the one part of the book that didn't need to be in there was the "Quiet" moment. It was great but logically I didn't understand why that choice was made.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels' Blood.

Quotes CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Liked

Nalini Singh
“Oh my God! I'm crushing an angel. Let me up!”

Nalini Singh
“You know how spooky Ashwini is. She called an hour ago to tell me she has a secret stash of handheld grenade launchers she thought I might want to know about. My response was, 'What the fuck?”

Nalini Singh
“Option 1: Attempt to back out.

Probable result: Death after painful torture.

Option 2: Do the job and hope.

Probable result: Death but probably no torture (good)”

Nalini Singh
“You do realize this makes your wings even more unique."
"Are you saying you shot me as a cosmetic procedure?”

Nalini Singh
“The bastard kissed her. She was so mad, she bit him hard enough to draw blood. Raphael pulled back, lip already beginning to swell. “We are no longer even, Elena. You’re now in debt.”
“You can deduct it from my slow and painful death.”

Nalini Singh
“You don't fear me," he said now.
She wasn't stupid enough to lie. "I'm petrified. But I figure you didn't make me come all this way just so you could push me off the roof.”

Nalini Singh
“This was the kind of job that made legends out of hunters. Of course, to be a legend, you generally had to be dead.”

Nalini Singh
“A naked blade sheathed in velvet, that was Raphael's voice.”

Nalini Singh
“He was trying to make me his bed buddy. I declined. He gave chase."
... "How, exactly, did you 'decline' his offer?"
"By slitting his throat."
The silence in the garage was broken only by the sound of water drip-dripping somewhere in the distance. Sara just stared. So did Ransom. Then the idiot male started laughing hysterically. He laughed so hard he fell off the bike and onto the scarred concrete of the garage floor. Even that didn't stop him.
Elena would've kicked him, except he'd probably use the chance to pull her down with him. "Shut up before I do the same to you."
He tried to stop laughing. Failed. "Jesus, Ellie. You are awesome!”

Nalini Singh
“Oh, this is a special blend for you." Taking one of the fingers she hadn't licked, he rubbed it along her lips. "What we usually shed is apparently comparable to the most delicious of chocolates or the finest of wines. Decadent, rich, and very expensive."
She told herself she wasn't going to lick the glitter off her lips. "And this blend?" The taste was inside her mouth without her having any knowledge of taking it in. And Raphael was incredibly close, his wings creating a white gold wall all around them his hands strong and warm on her hips. "What's so special about it?"
"This blend," he murmured, bending his head, "is about sex."
She put her hands on his chest but it wasn't a protest. After the blood, the fear, she needed to touch him, to know this glorious creature existed. "Another form of mind control?"
He shook his head, his mouth a hairbreadth from hers. "It's only fair."
"Fair?" She flicked her tongue along his lower lip. It made his hands clench on her hips.
"If I licked you between your thighs, your taste would have the same aphrodisiac effect on me.”

Nalini Singh
“No one has ever been able to pinpoint the trigger."
"But?"
"But it is legend that ambrosia only rises when-"
She held her breath.
"- an archangel loves true.”

Nalini Singh
“Do you have no sense of self-preservation?”

Nalini Singh
“I've never heard a man's cock described as a fang before...."
"Fang, cock.... It's all sexual to a vampire."
"But not to an angel. My cock serves a highly specific purpose.”

Nalini Singh
“...his lips were pure temptation, soft, bitable, sensual in a way only a man's mouth could be.”

Nalini Singh
“I'm crazy about you, Archangel. You scare the shit out of me at times, but I want to dance with you anyway.”

Nalini Singh
“How long have you been with Raphael?”
“You ask a lot of questions for a dead woman.”
“What can I say? I prefer to die well-informed.”
-Venom and Elena”

01/31/2011 page 288

message 1: by new_user (last edited Feb 01, 2011 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

new_user (view spoiler) And her plots do draaaag. That's a down side.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I thought it was definitely crucial for Elena and Raphael and it was a good scene, one that as a writer, I would have included and kept. But, the plot didn't really start, or the hunt for the actual bad guy, didn't start until more than a hundred pages in. I think I would have liked to see more hunt and less Quiet.

Not only that, Raphael seems like a logical being, I suppose that at that particular point in the story the reader is to get the hint that because of Elena, Raphael is becoming more emotional. Why else would he decide to do something that could put himself and others in danger, especially with a crazed pyscho on the loose?

I liked their interplay in that scene but I would have liked it better if something else had happened that just didn't seem so (albeit, splendidly) out of character for a rational angel.

new_user I think actually that the scene is supposed to demonstrate that he's on the verge of inhuman/sociopath like the other angels who play with humans and no longer have compassion, etc. And she's bringing him back. That he's wounded shows he's human, etc.

The crime plot does start very late. She does that a lot, LOL. Brace yourself.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Hmmm....good point with the sociopath observation. I remember something about that but I still think a part of him is becoming less logical and more emotional in order for him to do it in the first place. But I think you may be right too. Aghh! lol Either way, it was good, I did enjoy it.

Ok on the crime plot. I'm ready for this now (I don't mind but I'm glad I've been forewarned)

new_user Yes, I think you're right too. Maybe less logical and more emotional corresponds to human, since the angels are so cold in their logic. This is like a machine/human love story, isn't it? Maybe that inspired Singh. She writes that about that notion in her Psy-Changeling series too, except the sociopaths are the villains there, LOL. So intense.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Is the Psy-Changeling series any good?

new_user Yeah, I like it. I like the Guild Hunters series better though, especially as it looks like she's going to milk the Psy-Changeling series for as many books as possible, LOL. It's more romance-y though, and the world-building's interesting.