Jane Stewart's Reviews > The Autumn Bride

The Autumn Bride by Anne Gracie

bookshelves: regency-romance, 5-star-historical-romance

Conversations and events were fun, likeable, enjoyable. It’s charming. Emotionally fulfilling.

This is not a great book, but I’m giving it 5 stars because I was in such a happy mood during the two days I was listening to it. I was smiling all the time – during and not during.

It reminded me of Georgette Heyer books. I like the author’s choices - what the characters do, how they react, what they say. There was a blackmail attempt and my initial reaction was uh oh, this could be a downer. But it wasn’t. The author did not string it out with secrets and drama. I felt good with what happened. It was not what most authors do. That is still strange to me. I give the author credit. I like her choices.

I liked the way Lady Bea would call Abby Miss Burglar. I liked the way Bea did not like vegetables. I liked Freddy’s attitude and fear of muffins (irritating females chasing him for marriage).

The only thing off for me was sex before marriage did not fit the characters. I would have preferred seeing the wedding first. I also would have liked more romantic relationship development – seeing Abby and Max spending time together.

NARRATOR:
The audiobook narrator Alison Larkin did an excellent job. I loved her emotional interpretation of characters. She made Freddy sound odd, but that was ok. Her voice for the heroine reminded me of Julie Andrews -- lovely. I was surprised that a friend of mine was disappointed with the narrator. So this clearly is a personal preference thing.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Unabridged audiobook length: 10 hrs and 53 mins. Swearing language: none other than Good God. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: two. Setting: mostly London, England 1805 and 1816 England. Book copyright: 2013. Genre: regency romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autumn Bride.

Started Reading
July 2, 2014 – Shelved
July 2, 2014 – Shelved as: regency-romance
July 2, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star-historical-romance
July 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Kathleen Great review! It is indeed a feel-good happy series so far (both books). I liked all the things you did, except I really didn't like the narrator's voice for Freddy. If u like this series, I'm pretty sure you'll like her other series, about the Merridew sisters. See The Perfect Rake for book 1. The series is very heartwarming.

Jane Stewart Thanks Kathleen. And I've already ordered The Perfect Rake and The Perfect Waltz. I usually only order one at a time from an author, just in case I'm disappointed, but I'm confident about Gracie. If one is not a winner, she's still worth trying another.

Kathleen Good! Will look forward to your review. :-)