Anne Zandt's Reviews > Alles Sense

Alles Sense by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: discworld

I remember that when I first read it, I was quite captivated by it and didn’t want to stop. When I now read it again it wasn’t like that. I still enjoyed it greatly, but with some knowledge of what was going to happen still in mind and a different look on writing itself, some passages felt different to what I remember. I do believe I also laughed less at some of the jokes, but I’m not entirely sure whom to blame for that.

Pratchett has obviously his own way of writing – especially his Discworld novels – but some sentences bugged me quite a bit, though this might as well have been due to some translation mishaps.

The ideas, however, were quite interesting:

- DEATH leaves and everything that is dying leaves behind its life force that creates new things that shouldn’t actually be there.
- Unusual un-dead unite to fight for their rights.
- Trolleys hatching from Snow Globes gathering to become a Shopping Mall.
- Different versions of DEATH around the Discworld.

But so far I haven’t come across a Discworld book that wasn't interesting to read.

DEATH is one of my favourite characters, both in the Discworld and across literature. His way of (mis)understanding the human nature and exploring it is just brilliant and at times quite hilarious. Seeing him face the weirdness of a mortal life as Bill Door (or Bill Tür as he is called in German) is also quite interesting, because he sees so many things quite different.

The Wizards are always a source for laughter and rolling of eyes, their just so quirky and weird. Their whole attitude stands quite in contrast to the second protagonist Windle Poons, who is rather reasonable for a(n un-dead) wizard. He brought a nice contrast into the chaos caused by the life force.

Pratchett just has a great way of creating rather unique characters that are quite likable soon.

Even though I roughly remembered what was going to happen, I still enjoyed this re-read.
With DEATH as main character, I cannot not like this story.

Besides that was it just interesting to read how all of them coped with their different situation (being mortal, being un-dead, being surrounded by Snow Globes, being chased by Trolleys,…).

The only down point I could see, is that at some points the story tried too much to be original. But it was still a fun read and I’ll probably read it again one day. :)

Full Review: Reaper man

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alles Sense.

July 2, 2014 – Shelved