Julio Genao's Reviews > Think of England

Think of England by K.J. Charles

Jul 02, 2014

she had me at dark-eyed queer with intentions.

description

you got yer gigantic creepy house on gigantic creepy grounds.

you got yer addison-dewitt-type littry homo and a wounded vet in the closet.

you got yer murrrrrrrder! and blackmail! and people doing appalling things with the help behind closed doors!

nits: too short. over too soon. slightly insubstantial. bcuz i'm a greedy fuck who loves all of kj charles' words except the end.

GET THEE TO A BOOKERY AND PURCHASE YE SOME INGLEHOMOKAPERBLITZENSPRITZ!*

________________________

*unless you are a troll who spent 12 days telling the internet this review was not good enough for you and that it was 'EXHIBIT A" of the "Bankruptcy" of our great nation's "Critical Review Culture".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think of England.

July 2, 2014 – Started Reading
July 2, 2014 – Shelved
July 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Vanessa North mm, I concur.

Julio Genao so much fun, right?

Vanessa North indeed. But...(view spoiler)

Julio Genao well. implied buttsex. in the (view spoiler).

Star You hate words "the end" -- while I hate the words "implied buttsex." Gah.

Julio Genao awwww. that's a shame. this one's a good time :-P

Plainbrownwrapper I'm in the middle of this right now. Love the characters.

Star julio wrote: "awwww. that's a shame. this one's a good time :-P"

Just started it. :) I'll always give KJ the benefit of the doubt. She hasn't disappointed me yet!

Julio Genao woot!

and hope you like it too, PBW

Vanessa North IMO the (view spoiler) was hotter than a lot of the buttsex I've read.

Julio Genao smokin'

message 12: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis Hall I don't think there's, um, any buttsex ... implied or otherwise.

Those things don't necessarily require a cock and an arse.

Not that there's anything wrong with cocks in arses.

I just find it a rather limiting view of sex.

Julio Genao quite right

Vanessa North Alexis wrote: "I don't think there's, um, any buttsex ... implied or otherwise.

Those things don't necessarily require a cock and an arse.

Not that there's anything wron..."

Indeed. I thought the intimate scenes in this were particularly good. There was a lot of focus on the thrill of getting to know another person, of engaging in physical intimacy as an act of discovery, and of caring, that is often lacking in romance.

message 15: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis Hall Yes, I thought exactly the same thing, Vanessa.

I don't often find m/m very ... romantic. I mean not in the sense of flowers and chocolates, but a broader picture of sex than, you know, sweaty manfucking. (And I am in favour of that too).

So one of the things I really admire about ToE is the way it presents intimacy and vulnerability.

I mean the kiss at the end is ... the perfect payoff really.

message 16: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I wonder if it was coincidence naming the character Daniel da Silva. Cuz it makes me totally picture him looking like the author of the same name.

Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon Novels 1-4 (Gabriel Allon, #1-4) by Daniel Silva

Vanessa North Alexis wrote: "Yes, I thought exactly the same thing, Vanessa.

I think the m/m genre has certain sexual tropes: the explosive nature of two "alphas," the "protector" and his "charge," etc.

I think where the romanticism fails is when those tropes are used in place of characterization--where the agency of the characters is subsumed by a "role" they have to play and/or the mechanics of sex.

The sex can still be hot, but it's missing that vulnerability, that sense of connection and awareness that makes it breathtaking.

For me, that night in the folly was breathtaking.

Julio Genao ...what she said

message 19: by Jax (last edited Jul 02, 2014 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jax Well said Vanessa! And that night in the folly really was wonderful.

message 20: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Cousins +1 on all the praise. I've read this book twice in 24hrs. It's fantastic. And I loved Archie's lack of experience with a whole range of activities. The moment in the final scene where he thinks, "I know there's other things that I can do here and I'm going to find out what those are" is priceless.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ Vanessa wrote: "Alexis wrote: "I don't think there's, um, any buttsex ... implied or otherwise.

Not that there'..."

Woooooooooot for this and wooooooooot for your review, J.

WOOT.

Julio Genao Amy Jo wrote: "The moment in the final scene where he thinks, "I know there's other things that I can do here and I'm going to find out what those are" is priceless."

that was great

message 23: by liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

liz You're ALL DONE??? *pouts* I'm still in the middle and STUCK AT WORK. Stupid work. *kicks dirt*

Julio Genao now, now—one of us has to be the bread bookwinner

message 25: by liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

liz >.< ---------we are NOT Amused

message 26: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I am amused.

Julio Genao *simper*

MIRIAM.

Marte - Thunderella Great review, Julio! Ehm, panda. :)

Julio Genao thanks, marte :-)

Beth doesn't write  enough reviews This is another I've read, loved and need to read again. The was sensational! I agree with Vanessa. I admit I do love some smut but want, no need, connections and affection. I know how the body works and what goes where so Its the heart and mind I need for a great scene. This book did a great with that, enough to be titillating and didn't drop into smutty.

Julio Genao alexis hall had a nice review of it somewhere, mentioning the same thing

message 32: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel julio wrote: "alexis hall had a nice review of it somewhere, mentioning the same thing"

yes, this one here

Beth doesn't write  enough reviews Thank you Mel! Yes, Alexis stated so clearly exactly why I loved this story! And what I find wrong about a lot of M/M romance. I do enjoy erotica and love me some smut but in a romance I want the journey. I also don't believe a penis needs to enter an orafice to show a real and meaningful connection.

Julio Genao quite right, thank you mel, and beth

message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel You're welcome :-) I've got the link in my review, because Alexis's post made me want to give this book another chance. (I am by no means into historicals, and nearly fell asleep in the sample the first time #slightlyembaressedtoadmit) I'm reading it this week with Marco. I can't wait.

MostlyDelores Julio!

Your fame has spread to people who don't understand Goodreads: http://vacuousminx.wordpress.com/2014...

Here, have a cookie.

Julio Genao *snort*

it's not a good day until someone accuses you of viciously abusing Angela Lansbury in the process of objectifying homosexuals while gaming a system they know nothing about

I didn't realize all of my reviews had to be as humorless and navel-gazing as their pootling commentary

*snatches-up cookie at once*

message 38: by Steelwhisper (new)

Steelwhisper Heh, now everyone who sorts their library or changes shelves on a book is gaming the system. Do they know that every little change and save makes this happen?

Julio Genao it appears one of them doesn't even know i'm a gay male who is not required to post a dissertation on every novella he reads

...so i'm guessing no

message 40: by Steelwhisper (new)

Steelwhisper The punishment for squeeing :P

Julio Genao *squees objectifyingly at you*

Beth doesn't write  enough reviews MostlyDelores wrote: "Julio!

Here, have a cookie."

So every book read should have a dry dissertation review and discussion as if it were Moby Dick and dissected to the point of ashes? I remember doing that in college. We took lovely poems and stories and dissected them to the point I was sick of the damn things and can no longer read Poe without falling into a coma.
Books, stories and poems are meant to be enjoyed. Loved or hated, they are to be absorbed. They are not textbooks. There is a very large difference between a lively discussion and a dissection.
As for the rating system, if you don't understand it you shouldn't critiq it.
Squee away my dear Julio, you are far more enlightening.

Julio Genao *strikes noble pose*

i am quite enlightened, aren't i

someone should stop me before i have too much fun

Beth doesn't write  enough reviews someone should stop me before i have too much fun

Don't! Stop! Don't. Stop. Don't stop. Don't stop. Dontstopdontstopdontstopdontstop!

message 45: by Miriam (new)

Miriam MostlyDelores wrote: "Julio!

Here, have a cookie."

You'd think someone who called herself "vacuous" wouldn't be such a dry and humorless prig.

Erika On good lord, I didn't realize that clicking that link would lead me on an few hours long quest down the rabbit hole into Anne Somerville's blog and elsewhere, to learning enough about Racefail/Winterfox etc-whatever to make me thoroughly confused. My brain also hurts. (I just want to know what it's about without reading all those long ass posts. Is that too much to ask?)

I blame u, Julio, with your fetishizing of gay men using Angela Lansbury's sacred mien. :P

Apparently these people don't realize that if I decided to fix a typo, my review's date would change, as well as other GR idiosyncrasies. Meh.

Karen Wellsbury Those cold hearted cows again, I heartily dislike their highly superior attitudes. Its not for nothing they are called the Mean Girls

Julio Genao i enjoy their very grave consternation. been chuckling about dusty nether regions all day

message 49: by Steelwhisper (new)

Steelwhisper What I don't get is that several among them, as well as the majority of the people answering there are or were on GR. So at least they should know that any change to a review will reset the publication date. It's how GR works, personally I'm not happy with that, but hey, it's hard not to notice O.o

To think that now everyone rearranging their books is liable to feature as someone pushing reviews into sight is... curious.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ This cray cray talk is so circuitous in its cray cray that it took me several clicks on links to even get to the "issue".

Why da fook does someone else care how someone else reviews? OY.

And yeah, who doesn't know that any time you change anything, add a book, etc., it changes info, including dates? Oh wait, apparently them. Although, they're mixing their point: is this the "fault" of GR or the reviewer?

Also, me loves the reviewer, so there. *lifts chin with appropriate amount of haut*

Also, um... any more cookies around these here parts?

Steel, as usual, you're fab lol :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11