Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Evangelical Ethics: Issues Facing the Church Today

Evangelical Ethics by John Jefferson Davis

19232021

liked it

I read this book for one of my seminary classes. It does have some positive qualities despite the blah overall rating. To begin with the positive, the book has an attractive cover and the layout is easy to navigate and the font is eye-pleasing. Davis has included a subject index, an author index, and a Scripture index, and the presence of the indices also contribute to navigability. As the title implies, the book focuses upon the ethical dimensions of the faith, divided into categories that he feels are most illustrative and/or important due to their controversial nature. As you might expect, issues such as homosexuality and abortion are herein, but Davis has also included less covered issues such as euthanasia and reproductive technologies. This edition (the 3rd) has been expanded to include timely issues such as environmental ethics.

I give complete kudos to the author for acknowledging that it is not so much current opinion and culture that should determine the Christian's response to these issues but, rather, what the Bible says and/or implies about the issue. I say "implies" because the Bible, of course, does not mention certain issues by name, such as genetics, but the concepts can be teased from Scripture. In keeping with this theme, Davis uses Scripture for his arguments. Overall, I think he does a good job at this.

I do have a couple of issues. First, I take away one star for Davis' error in including the Roman Catholic religion into the overall corpus of Christianity. For someone promoting using the Bible as the basis for truth, it is sadly ironic that he considers a religion that does not recognize the truth of the Bible to be part of the faith. He should apply his ethical lenses to transubstantiation and other RC dogmata that demonstrate the unbiblical and anti-biblical aspects of the religion. I also take away one star for Davis' nearly constant use of outdated scientific research. The biblical tenets and concepts are pretty much timeless. Science, in contrast, is very much a timely field. I understand using new facts and figures would add a good deal of work to the new edition, but I think it should have been done.

This book is very much a niche product. It is for Christians grappling with these issues and those in leadership positions that might need to instruct others regarding these issues. Of course, students who have been assigned the book are also interested :) Non-Christians will probably not be interested unless they are seeking a biblical view on the subject for some reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evangelical Ethics.

Finished Reading