Reading Sarah's Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Apr 13, 2010

bookshelves: near-future, romance, mystery-thriller, audio
Read from April 13 to 14, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Why I picked up this book:

The Romance genre study through ARRT put J.D. Robb on the list of authors for Romantic Suspense subgenre. I get a lot of requests for this series at mpow so I thought I'd check into it and see what I thought.

Why I finished listening:
The romance in this book was almost completely incidental to me. I kind of wanted both Roarke and Eve to stop with the contrived tension already, we get it. Also, I felt like the whole "I don't know why I like you" thing from both of them was ridiculous. You articulate repeatedly what it is you like about the other character and then expect me to feel tension about your relationship? No.

Despite that, I liked both their characters and wanted them to get together. And, the fast-moving plot rife with suspense kept my interest. A senator's grand-daughter has been killed, a lot of heavy hitters are involved in the case, and more people are dying. The pressure is really on Eve Dallas and she doesn't have much in the way of backup or suppport...plus she's falling heart first into bed with one of the prime suspects. The futuristic setting oddly out-dated already (laser weapons and flying cars, yes, okay, The Future,; electronic memos, seperate electronic communicators, databooks, etc., and all data stored on "discs" not so much The Future.)

Two notes about this book which may or may not be spoilers:
1) The book is really political. I would not say feminist though the the undertones are there, but the way rape and prostitution are handled undermine any feminist leanings. Still, it is pretty left-leaning, mostly in a good way.
2)This one is pretty spoilery.****
I actually laughed out loud when the villian did the classic blunder of telling his supposed last victim (Eve) about his crimes. He actually says that he wants to gloat to her! I just pictured Dr. Evil telling Austin Powers all about his plans as Austin works on escaping. I cannot believe anyone outside of a superhero comic seriously used this plot device.
**********

The reader, Susan Ericksen, was MOST EXCELLENT. Sometimes that's quite hard to find. Also, the production values were high, and many times that is not the case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.