Joe D.'s Reviews > How to Get Out of Your Own Way

How to Get Out of Your Own Way by Tyrese Gibson

I'm not big on self-help books but this one made for interesting light-reading. Tyrese Gibson, for those of you who don't know, is a major film actor and singer. Although, he makes it clear from the beginning that he didn't write this book for a "pat on the back", but because there were a lot of people out there who needed to hear it.

There's a lot of useful advice in here for those looking to help themselves be stronger, and better people. For example, I think one of the best talking points Tyrese brings up is 'Drawing your Bottom Line', which, to sum up, he goes into how you need to decide for yourself when enough is enough. Basically, the daily dose of crap you're willing to take from other people. It's a very touchy subject that I think he handles really well, because he understands that it isn't just about being selfish, it's about self-respect.

Although I liked to see Tyrese and his side of things, this book didn't really teach me a whole lot that I didn't already know. Self-respect is, and always will be an important aspect of anyone's life. In some respects, you can probably say he's preaching to the choir but there are plenty of people out there who are, as Tyrese puts it, unaware of how even the smallest of their actions can have unwanted consequences, and kinda need a voice like this to put them in the right direction.

However, and while I can't speak for those who read a lot of self-help material, if you're already one of the guys who, for all intents and purposes "got out of their own way", I'm not sure how much more you will really learn from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Get Out of Your Own Way.

July 1, 2014 – Started Reading