Erin's Reviews > Sins of the Father

Sins of the Father by Andrea Randall

bookshelves: 5-star-reads

Andrea Randall became one of my favorite authors after I read In the Stillness. It is one of my top favorites, and if you haven't read it, I suggest you do! I put whatever she writes onto my MUST READ list and Jesus Freaks: Sins of the Father did not disappoint.

Kennedy Sawyer has grown up in a liberal Episcopalian household. Her mother Wendy is very liberal in ever facet of life, so when Kennedy decides to enroll is the conservative Evangelical Christian college, Carter University, her mother immediately tries to fight her on it. The reason Kennedy, who was her school valedictorian, and was accepted into Yale and Cornell, chose Carter University is because her birth father, Roland Abbot, celebrity televangelist, is the new famous pastor of the affiliated church, New Life, and she wants to try to get to know him better. The only thing is, no one knows Roland is Kennedy's father and she wants to keep in that way.

Kennedy is thrown into the conservative Christian world of college dress codes, mandatory church services three times a week, chaperoned dates, and oh yes, only hand holding is allowed on AND off campus. Kennedy grew up a "normal" teenager, so this is all very new to her. When her new roommates and new friends find out she is from liberal Connecticut and an Episcopalian they quickly realize she is not like them at all. Kennedy tries her hardest to fit in in this very different world. She not only sets out in a journey to get to know her father, but to better understand herself and her relationship with God a little better.

This is not a preachy book, nor is this is not a book that pushes a specific religious agenda. This book does not tell you it is better to be Episcopalian, or to be an Evangelical Christian. What this book does do is help you see we all aren't really that different underneath. We all do not have the answers, some things we do are right, some are wrong, no matter our religion or political affiliation. As Matt says (Oh how I love Matt), "We're all imperfect. We all fall short. There was one perfect man who ever walked this Earth. The trick is, it was God, so the rest of us are screwed." Amen to that!

Another thing this book did do for me is open up my eyes to a lot of things spiritually. I actually envied the kids Kennedy went to school with, and their close relationships with God. There were a lot of good quotes that I highlighted to help me on my own spiritual journey.

Bottom line, if you want a book that isn't just mind numbing drama, and will actually make you THINK, then this is a book you should definitely read.

5 stars! Can't wait for the next installment!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Father.

July 1, 2014 – Shelved
July 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 10, 2014 – Started Reading
September 10, 2014 –
1.0% "We are doing a buddy read for this one! Join us!"
September 10, 2014 –
11.0% "Lol! Loving this already!\n \n My tablemates each represent a state— or piece of a state in Ohio’s case— cinched tightly in the nation’s Bible belt. I’m from the nation’s eyebrow. Pierced eyebrow."
September 11, 2014 –
45.0% "“It troubles me that, in this world today, honesty is lined up with brilliance.”\n \n Love it."
September 12, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star-reads