Will M.'s Reviews > Welcome to Lovecraft

Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill

20408288

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novels, horror, 2015, paranormal

After months of putting this aside, I finally decided to read this. The premise was very gripping, and the execution was adequate. It's not the best graphic novel I've ever read, but it does have the type of plot that would keep you reading till the end. I can't wait to read the second volume and find out what happens next.

Ups:
-Fantastic plot
-Likable Characters
They all had their own problems, and each one resulted positively in terms of enjoyment. I enjoyed the graphic novel more because of that because it added a feeling of psychological thriller to it.
-Decent Artwork
It could've been done better, but I've seen way worse. I'm not that fond of it, but it's something I can bear with.

Downs:
-While the plot was fantastic, at times it was all over the place
-Contrary to my usual preference, I didn't like the shifting of timelines here. It was a bit confusing. Maybe it's because of the graphic novel format, but I didn't enjoy the shifting that much.

4/5 stars.I heard that the series improves even more, so I'll be reading the next volumes real soon. While I was not blown away, I can still consider this a very good graphic novel. Highly recommended for horror and psycho-thriller fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to Lovecraft.

June 30, 2014 – Shelved
June 16, 2015 – Started Reading
June 16, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
June 16, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
June 16, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (last edited Jun 16, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Glad you stuck with it. The artwork picks up in the next volumes. I thought some of those double page spreads were really well done. I basically liked all the volumes, except for #3, which dragged a bit too much for my taste.

Will M. Dᴀɴ 2.☢ wrote: "Glad you stuck with it. The artwork pickup in the next volumes. I thought some of those double page spreads were really well done. I basically liked all the volumes, except for #3, which dragged..."

Yup, I remember mentioning on one of your review that I'll eventually get back to this. Glad to know the artwork gets better!