Akoss's Reviews > The Underneath

The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

bookshelves: all-mg, mg-study

This is the story of a bloodhound, a calico cat mom and her twin kittens becoming an unusual but beautiful family. It is also the story of many centuries of revenge plotting, wrong doing and all around selfish acts from a mystical being called Grandmother. And finally it is also the story of evil. An evil so powerful that in the end it consumed itself.

This is my very lame attempt at summarizing a book so well written it could be a beautiful and sad song. Not a word felt out of place or extra. The story gave me so many strong emotions while I rooted for my favorite characters to make it. It broke my heart and simultaneously gave me hope at the most unexpected moments.

The chapters are short and you read with fervor as you watch different paths converge together in a fantastic, suspenseful and heart breaking clash.

You guys, this whole book is nothing but twists and turns. It makes it hard to give out any details without spoilers. If you are a pet person? Read it. If you love books with a lot of heart? Read it. If you like suspense? Read it. Just never mind all that and go read this book already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Underneath.

June 30, 2014 – Started Reading