Will M.'s Reviews > The Desert Spear

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

20408288

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, 2014

No matter how much I push myself, I can't seem to give this one a 5. It wasn't bad, but it didn't have the same impact The Warded Man had on me. The characters were still great, but some were present way too many times than necessary.

I promise not to write a really long review this time. I think I've written way too long reviews for the other Fantasy novels that I liked.

Let's start with what I found enjoyable:

Jardir. If I thought that The Warded Man was really badass, well, now I've read about Jardir. At first I really didn't like him, but in the end he felt more badass than the Warded Man. He has the same scars, and he has this really cool spear. Weapons wise, I'm actually not a fan of spears, but Jardir makes it look so badass. I wanted to become the Warded Man before, but now I think becoming Jardir would be better. More women to begin with, okay that was a joke.

Renna. Everything that happened to her in this novel was a page turner. I'm not gonna spoil anything don't worry, but she just became my third favorite character because of everything that happened. She could be like the warded woman or something. Okay maybe not, but she was badass for me.

The action and violence in this novel. Brett just took it up a notch in this novel, and I freakin' love him for that. I read The Warded Man because I heard that it was full of action, and I loved the first novel for that. I might be turning a bit contradicting because I didn't rate this a 5, don't worry, I'm getting to the explanation part. While this had more action, I just didn't feel like I was fully engrossed in the world of The Desert Spear. It's quite similar to the first novel, but this one had a few flaws I didn't seem to like that much.

Now that I'm thinking things through, I believe I was a bit too new to the genre when I read The Warded Man, and that's why I enjoyed it so much. I've read more than 10 really good fantasy novels, and now I'm a bit more subjective when it comes to the genre. I really don't want to be, but it's there already. If I read this series first, then I believe this novel would've received a 5, but sadly, that's not going to happen.

Negative:

I have one major problem with this novel, something that I'm still annoyed about up to now. The fact that the back summary stated that there's this new breed of demons that is way more superior and dangerous. Yeah, we get a glimpse of them in the prologue, and their next major appearance was in the last fucking chapter. I enjoyed the drama and all of the middle part, but the main thing I wanted to read about was technically not even evident in this novel. The interview at the back states that the author said that more of the mimics, but I wanted more of them in this novel. This rage of mine just makes me want to read the next novel as soon as possible though. This problem's probably the main reason why this one didn't get the 5 stars.

4.1/5 stars, still recommended to fantasy fans of course. This series is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Read this if you can stomach some gut wrenching violence that I seem to love so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Desert Spear.

June 30, 2014 – Shelved
June 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 30, 2014 – Shelved as: books-i-own
June 30, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 3, 2014 – Started Reading
December 3, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
December 4, 2014 –
page 213
33.39% "I'm finally done with the first part of the novel. It's not as captivating as the first novel, I'm not that engrossed. It was a bit interesting though, reading Jardir's perspective of things. Hopefully the novel would improve now that the old characters are finally present."
December 6, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb Great Review Will! I think I might pick up the Warded Man sometime this month to see how good it is! Thanks for the review.

Will M. Kaleb wrote: "Great Review Will! I think I might pick up the Warded Man sometime this month to see how good it is! Thanks for the review."

Thanks Kaleb! I highly recommend The Warded Man.

message 3: by Conor (new) - added it

Conor but now I think becoming Jardir would be better. More women to begin with, okay that was a joke. ... or was it? :D

Great review as always bro.

Will M. Conor wrote: " but now I think becoming Jardir would be better. More women to begin with, okay that was a joke. ... or was it? :D

Great review as always bro."

Thanks dude! And no, it wasn't a joke!!