lynne naranek's Reviews > Little Black Book of Stories

Dec 01, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: shortstory, 2007
Read in December, 2007

A. S. Byatt is an author that just doesn't quite click with me, although this collection of short tales is so far the most palatable of the three books I've read of hers so far.

Unlike The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye, this collection is not "obviously" "fairy tales" but many of them are certainly fantastical:
1. The Thing in the Forest : how two different girls deal with a traumatic childhood experience in the woods (reminded me of The Game I'd read, about how two sisters deal with a common "problem")
2. Body Art : I so couldn't get into this tale about a doctor in charge of the art/historical collection of his hospital, and of a mysterious art student.
3. A Stone Woman : This was an amazing story about a woman who slowly turned into stone. I love how the tales brings us to Iceland :-)
4. Raw Material : about a "failed" writer who teaches writing classes, and one particular student of his, who ends up being his class' inspiration in death.
5. The Pink Ribbon : A poignant tale about "letting go" of a loved one, yet told so convolutedly its charm was lost.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Black Book of Stories.

07/23/2016 marked as: read