Andy's Reviews > The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff S. Volek

A fantastic, thorough, dense yet approachable overview to ketosis. It's written by doctors for doctors to tell their patients how to go very low carb, so it can be biomed oriented at times (as in naming many acronyms I haven't heard of), but the information is invaluable.

I have been "paleo" / low carb for five years, but never aimed to go into ketosis. I had many questions - how is athletic performance effected? What are the best fat sources for ketosis? Is all that animal fat *really* what I should be eating? How do specific organs react to running primarily on fat?

This book answers all of those questions and more. I've read "Wheat Belly" and "Why We Get Fat", which were great intros into low carb eating and avoiding grains, but this book is specifically about ketosis. The other books do a better job of explaining why fat is actually good for you, but Art & Science covers the basics. Maybe two chapters in I decided to go full keto as a lifestyle.

The book covers all sorts of topics and cites countless studies along the way. Volek and Phinney have been performing their own patient studies for decades, so they are more than qualified to write about the subject. They also fully admit their shortcomings (and those of nutrition in general) like how inflammation is very complicated and not fully understood and activated by many different things.

There are probably other good keto resources out there, but the combined experience of the authors leaves no keto stone uncovered. I would make it required reading for anyone looking to change their lifestyle to high fat, low carb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

Started Reading