Tee Jay's Reviews > Dune

Apr 12, 2010

bookshelves: classic, science-fiction, i-will-reread
Recommended to Tee Jay by: August Bourré
Read from July 19 to August 03, 2010

Dune is a fantastic novel. I can't believe the scope and originality of it, especially considering it is now 45 years old. It does not feel dated in any way and has aged gracefully. Reading Dune is a timeless experience; it does not matter at what age or in what age one reads it—it will stand up to the test of time. What is especially nice is Dune does not have the gee-whizz techno gizmos prevalent in other novels from its era.

Unfortunately for me I tried reading Dune about five years ago and I just couldn't. I could not get past the first couple of pages and I then naively thought there was something wrong with the book. Now I know better. I have missed out these last five years.

At that time, I was not ready to read Dune. It is a complex, multi-layered and multifaceted book that requires more attention and patience than your typical pot-boiler. Nonetheless, the effort pays off tremendously once into the story. Also, it doesn't take that long to get into it; once past the first chapter, the strange names of people and places become transparent and easy to understand. It is also fascinating to see how Dune works on so many levels: political, philosophical, ecological, theological, and even economical. The sophistication and thought Frank Herbert put into this novel is mind bending.

I am glad I have read Dune. My imagination is richer for it, more vibrant and colourful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

07/20/2010 page 13