Laurel's Reviews > The Social Machine: Designs for Living Online

The Social Machine by Judith  Donath

Jun 30, 2014

This is a beautiful, intellectual book about living life online. It is aesthetically stunning in layout and design, containing elegant pictures, quotes and supporting material. Although this book was written by an academic, it is totally accessible to the layperson. As an internet scholar I was familiar with many of Donath's ideas, but also learned about research that was previously unknown to me. Most of Donath's ideas about online social interaction were framed in a way that gave me a different perspective of online community, and overall computer-mediated communication. Donath presents her ideas elegantly, always backing them up when needed with scholarly research and theory. I had to check the price of this book on Amazon- I was shocked to see that the hard cover copy can be purchased for $35.00. I expected it to be closer to the $200 range of similar texts books- although this is not a text book, it could be used in most any course that looks at "living life online". It is not often that I find an academic book so engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Machine.

June 30, 2014 – Started Reading