Mindy's Reviews > The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

This should really be 2.5 stars, but I give the benefit of the extra .5 for the entertainment value.

There were things I really loved about this book, and there were things I really didn't like about this book. Mainly, I loved Addison Allen's descriptions of both the normal (the small town, the brown leaves, the lake, etc) and the magical elements (Win's warmth, Stella's husband's black powdery soot left on the legs and necks of other women, Sawyer seeing/sensing sweets, the wallpaper, etc). She has an amazing ability to bring the reader in with those senses and it's easy to see and feel everything the characters do.

Sadly, the characters were so one-dimensional I couldn't connect with any of them. I fell easily into Addison Allen's world, but felt nothing for the characters within.

I felt like she had two great ideas for two different books (Julia's sort of chick-lit story and Emily's sort of young adult romance story) but didn't have either flushed out enough to stand alone so she pushed them together. It kind of works with back story, but the characters remain flat. Julia's mental health issues feels forced and just there without really being part of the character, a surface element. We get no real emotion from Emily whose mother, and only family she knew of, died. It's just something that has happened to her, and she acts as if her mother is just off in France or somewhere else while she's been sent to the grandfather she never knew. Addison Allen says that Emily and her mother were close, but she never really gets that across from the character's POV, the reader never feels it.

If Addison Allen took as much time with her character development as she did with her descriptions of the world around them, this would have been a five-star book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

April 12, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 12, 2010 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2010 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by MB (What she read) (last edited May 13, 2010 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MB (What she read) I SO AGREE with you! This was by far her weakest book, IMO. It felt so unsatisfying to me, the ending was silly, and I found myself a little angry when I turned the last page thinking to myself"...that's all?!?".

Samantha I agree. It wasn't as passionate as the other two in my opinion.