Sheridan's Reviews > The Last Goodbye

The Last Goodbye by Caroline Finnerty

bookshelves: giveaway-wins

Check out my full review at: http://iturnthepages.blogspot.com/201...

WOW.

This novel was MUCH more than I could have asked for.

The reader follows the story of Kate, a woman originally from Ireland, but who moved to London with her partner, Ben. She holds a steady job at the gallery downtown with her friend Nat, where she is constantly holding exhibitions for photographers and updating the gallery's owner, Tabitha, on the current progress and earnings of the establishment.

Along with problems with Nat and her boyfriend's relationship (and more importantly, the circumstances surrounding it), Kate is dealing with problems of her own. Kate doesn't talk to her family often, in fact, she hasn't seen them in years, and all of the constant pressure to visit from her partner, Ben, isn't doing her much good.

Kate is also pregnant, which, for her, is NOT a positive thing, connecting her to pieces of her past that she never wanted to relive.

This book was BEYOND amazing. I was in tears with almost every new page I read.

Obviously, the emotional connection was there. The story of Kate, and those around her, were written in such a way that the reader is experiencing the EXACT emotions and feelings of the characters. The emotions are raw, meaningful, and incredibly deep.

The character connection was also beyond unbelievable. I went into this book thinking that I wouldn't connect with Kate as much as I did. I really feel like she is one of my closest friends now, along with all of her other relatives that, based on earlier parts of the story, I never thought I would have a chance to meet. Even the more "villainous" characters, I saw myself understanding their actions more and more as the story went on. These people were not villainous, but their actions were misinterpreted and the wrong choice made at the wrong time.

The story could not have progressed at a better rate. There was NO point in the story where I thought the plot was too dragged out or too quick. I would also like to add that I LOVE the several perspectives. I squealed when I realized what was going on, and Finnerty continued to surprise me with her novel. Everything was perfect!

I now know that Finnerty is one of my all-time favourite authors. Thank you so much for writing this story!

I was gifted a copy of this sad yet happy novel through the Goodreads Giveaway Promotion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Goodbye.

June 29, 2014 – Shelved