Michael's Reviews > The Cat in the Cradle

The Cat in the Cradle by Jay Bell

5 very, very solid stars. I predict that by the end of 2010 this book will have many YA Literary, GLBT YA Literary and GLBT Literary Awards mentioned on the cover of it’s future editions and on it’s website.

The Cat in the Cradle is a thrilling adventure filled with suspense, likable characters, a consistent imaginative world and plenty of twists and turns. Wrapped in all of this is a coming out story written with such heart that people from all walks of life will appreciate it.

The three main characters, Dylan, Kio and Tyjin, are unlikely heroes who are learning things as they go and doing the best they can with what is being thrown at them. They are insecure, playful, mischievous, witty, sincere and coming to terms with their inner strengths as well as their shortcomings.

I lost count of how many times I smiled at the clever dialogue between Dylan and his talking cat, Kio. The language flows with the ease of a young adult book but has a much older sense of humor. The world Jay Bell creates is comfortable place, easily relatable to both readers who enjoy fantasy fictions and those who are new to the genre.

If I tried to label this book as a coming out story set in a fantasy world I wouldn’t be doing this book justice. This book is a fantasy adventure. Dylan and Tyjin’s sexuality is not incidental, far from it...their growing attraction and Dylan’s self discovery are important, just not over powering to the rest of what is going on.

I wish this book had been around when I was a young adult. Dylan’s struggle with coming to terms with his sexuality will ring true for so many readers. I know it did for me. With this one story Jay Bell speaks to so many situations that gay teens face...internalized fear, possibility of rejection by family and friends, awkward first encounters, missed opportunities and self acceptance.

When Dylan ponders:

The world had been so simple yesterday. Funny how much difference a single day could make. A murderous Oligarch? An eel-man and other killer creatures? No Problem. Loving someone that you weren’t suppose to. That was hard.

Most gay youth will relate. Yes, it can feel that big.

He’s set the bar high for himself, but I hope this is not all I’ll read from Jay Bell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat in the Cradle.

April 12, 2010 – Shelved
April 14, 2010 – Shelved as: gay-young-adult
April 14, 2010 – Shelved as: gay-interracial
April 14, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Truly fantastic review, Michael!

This is going on my to-order list for sure. I'm too intrigued now.

DarienMoya Wow you got me, its a must read.