Nora St Laurent's Reviews > Stuck in the Middle

Stuck in the Middle by Virginia Smith

Apr 12, 2010

Read in January, 2009

: Ohmygosh, Virginia Smith writes a hilarious, tender story that chronicles family life for the Sanderson sisters. Change never is easy, and twenty three year old Joan is fighting it on all sides. Joan receives a call from her mom, “I’m going to kill her.”

“Hi, Mom. What has Gram done?”

“She’s alphabetized my underwear drawer.”

“She what?”

“It’s not funny Joan. My bras are all in the first row, color-coded alphabetically.”

Joan and Carla, live with Gram, Carla’s 85 year old mom, who’s driving her crazy. Joan is stuck in the middle of these two—how could she keep peace? What would happen if she didn’t?

Joan meets Ken, the doctor-neighbor next door. She invites him to church along with the rest of her family. Ken’s different. He talks about a relationship with Jesus. Joan hears a missionary talk in church who says, “I want to tell you today about a God who is real. I know he’s real, because I have lived in a place where His is the only hand that kept me from torture and death. I have seen His power displayed in ways that leave no doubt that this God we serve takes an active role in our everyday lives, if we let him.”

This is a fun, light hearted story of family—about women struggling with each other and the tides of change in the seasons of life. Could Joan trust her heavenly father when her earthly father abandoned her? Was Ken real? Life starts to take on a different meaning as she learns about the personal relationship Ken has with Jesus is real! Joan wants this too. That’s when things really get interesting.

Thanks Virginia, for this story about family and sisters in our ever-changing world where God is still in charge of everything, if we let Him. I'm glad that I received a review copy of this book and I can’t wait to read the other books in this series.

Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuck in the Middle.