Michael Cairns's Reviews > The Spirit and The Shadow

The Spirit and The Shadow by Thomas Lavalle

Jun 29, 2014

bookshelves: comics-mature

I thoroughly enjoyed this book for a number of reasons. I liked the mix of comic and prose, I engaged with the characters and I thought the concept of the vampire division of the police force, with its 'mixed' pairings of detectives, was excellent.
The concept follows two detectives, one vampire and the other human, as they become embroiled in a conspiracy far larger than they originally thought. It also involved a classic mysterious hard man who is both entertaining and interesting and comes complete with sassy assistant, and a whole host of vampires and mystery, behind-the-scenes nutjobs.
The art style is not to everyone's taste, but is well done and supremely suitable for the text. All done in black and white save for the liberal splashes of red, the art works well with the night time setting and the atmosphere of film noir that permeates the detectives' business.
The story itself is nicely built as the book progresses and had me guessing as I went along, which is rare for me. The ending is also terrific and I'll say no more than that. :)
As far as I'm concerned, any book that involves vampires being defanged through the use of pliers is going to be a good read and I'm looking forward to the second in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit and The Shadow.

Finished Reading